Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Late Use Of A Jack O' Lantern Cancel ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 364Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
646 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Given the stamp issue, this usage would be on the late side, and my gut makes me question its authenticity as I ponder whether or not to pull the trigger on the 'buy button.' The part of the cds visible in duplex seems a bit questionable as well (not to mention, with a clear strike of the Jack O' Lantern as seen here, wouldn't one expect a better strike of the cds?).
Any opinions?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2794 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any wrong with the positioning. Killer on the stamp, CDS on the envelope, the way it is supposed to be, and the reason why duplexes were developed.
Whether it is intended by the maker to be a jack-o-lantern, man-in-the-moon, smiling face, mask, or similar is a matter of guessing. Without any vertical striping or a stem, I have a hard time classifying this as a jack-o-lantern.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
646 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having specialized in jack o' lantern / pumpkin cancels for the last several years, I find the majority of them will have neither stripes nor stems (unlike the Waterbury version). A quick peek at one of my pages holding 35 examples, most with certs, has only two with stems and none with stripes. The same applies to tracings in Cole, Skinner, and Clark, amongst others. In fact, many cancels with stems (similar to the Appleton, Wisconsin apple) have been accused of being just that.

Edited to add: I'm aware of what duplex cancellations were designed to do, but that wasn't the question. I was wondering about the disparity between the intensity/clarity of the strike of the killer vs that of the cds.
Edited by docgfd - 05/27/2020 7:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
929 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, after looking at the image and if I had to report a description to the police of what I saw, I would have to say a Ninja Turtle. Michaelangelo, or Donatello It truly is amazing how much that image looks like the Ninjas, but about 80 years earlier.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
646 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for the sake of 'closure,' with some help on the Frajola MB, turns out this is a Salkind HU-B0-2 Pumpkin cancel, possibly used at Newkirk, Oklahoma.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 364Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05