Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Stamp Reperforated?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 693Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
465 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would someone who knows the techniques for determining whether a stamp has been reperforated be so kind as to take a look at this one and make a determination. If there is a pictorial comparison of the side(s) that are in question, that would be very helpful.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8181 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   02:42 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here are the top perfs digitally compared to the side and bottom perfs.

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny how using the same data you can often see quite different results. Image below is right side compared to left side and top to bottom. Looks reasonably normal to me. 51studebaker didn't say anything about how he interprets his image, but I believe he means to imply that it was obviously reperfed.

I would disagree. I think you would need to have an expert look at it in hand.

Edited by banknoteguy - 05/28/2020 06:50 am
Learn More...
8181 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   07:41 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Banknoteguy image with his perfs moved slightly closer to the stamp

Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion does not change. Not obviously reperfed.
Learn More...
8181 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   07:53 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not say it was 'obviously reperfed' nor did I 'mean to imply that it was obviously reperfed'; stop putting words in my mouth. I posted images only to help.
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
465 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't mean to start a ruckus - appreciate your input. Still trying to figure out how to do that comparison of different sides of stamps to check to see if the perfs line up. If they do not line up - top to bottom, side to side, top to side/bottom, is that proof that there has been a reperf? Are there other reasons why some of the comparisons would not line up? Thanks again.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 05/28/2020 11:00 am
Learn More...
8181 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   11:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Oracle, no worries.
Yes, one example would be something like bent perf pins on the perforator.

I did not offer an opinion for two reasons; first I am just a hobbyist, and secondly a higher resolution image would be more helpful for the folks who are.

Have you tried comparing this stamp with others (by aligning two stamps of the same perf next to each other)?
Don
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything suspicious about the perforations on this stamp. They are all of very consistent size and depth; the right and left align; the top and bottom align; and the sides are parallel as best as I can see. Is there something in particular that you see, Oracle, that makes you ask?
Valued Member
India
21 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   03:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miacon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear all experts ,

Perhaps you could educate . What is the rationale behind taking the time , effort and cost to do a reperf ?? Unless , ofcourse , the mischief monger is looking at a possibility of trading off these stamps by reperfing them with a rarer perforation variety .

If the stamp is found as one among many in a collection or in an odd-lot purchase , which has been bought for a few dollars , then why the reperf ??

Regards , Srivatsan .
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dear all experts ,

Perhaps you could educate . What is the rationale behind taking the time , effort and cost to do a reperf ?? Unless , ofcourse , the mischief monger is looking at a possibility of trading off these stamps by reperfing them with a rarer perforation variety .

If the stamp is found as one among many in a collection or in an odd-lot purchase , which has been bought for a few dollars , then why the reperf ??

Regards , Srivatsan .

For US stamps, many were printed in large sheets of 4 panes each. These panes were cut apart leaving stamps with straight edges. Generally, a straight edge reduces the value of a stamp. These type stamps were re-perfed many years ago to increase the value. Inexpensive stamps were used to practice. More expensive stamps are more likely to be re-perfed but not always.
The second group to be re-perfed are those that were issued imperf but have an identical valuable coil issue.
Valued Member
India
21 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miacon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Wkusau ,

Many thanks for your detailed explanations . So , as I understand it , the rationale behind reperfing was to increase the value . As you have stated , reperfs would have been carried out on Coil Stamps or Imperforate stamps or straight-edged stamps , to convert them to a perforated stamp of a higher philatelic value . Perfectly understandable rationale .

However , why would anyone reperf any stamp to convert it into a common stamp of little or no philatelic value ?? When , it is clearly understood above , that the intention and attempt would have been to convert it into a stamp of high value .

Will be thankful for your insights on this .
Regards ,
Srivatsan .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1152 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I see it, there are 3 reasons to reperf a stamp.
(1) To improve its appearance. This was done in the early days if, as wkkusa noted, there was an unsightly straight edge ... or if there was an unusually wide margin, making the stamp appear off-center. Note that this was frequently done with no intent to defraud.
(2) To increase the value of the apparent stamp. There are two subplots to this. (i) To improve the appearance so that the stamp can acquire a "higher grade", making it more valuable. (ii) To fraudulently make the stamp appear to be something else that is more valuable.
(3) To practice one's reperforation technique in preparation for (1) or (2).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4030 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a time when pennies, nickels and dimes had purchasing power. An extra $ reperfing and pressing creases was a worthwhile income booster.
Valued Member
India
21 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miacon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Lebbert ,

Many many thanks . Very comprehensive and complete reply . All doubts cleared .

Regards , Srivatsan .
Valued Member
India
21 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miacon to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Redwood ,

Many thanks for adding some more light to Lebbert's reply . Perfectly agreed and duly noted for my knowledge .

Regards ,
Srivatsan.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 693Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05