Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Letters From The French Occupation Of Italy.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 281Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lostandfound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am delighted to say I have continued my route down the stampless letters road, with what I hope to be a rather good one. In a group of 9 dating from 1803 to 1816 during the time of Napoleon.

I am basically putting in what names I can make out~! So far one is to Pierre Honore Roux, Negotiating in Marseille, he was general councilor in 1809, member of the chamber of commerce from 1814 to 1821 and deputy for Bouches-du-Rhône from 1820 to 1830. He sat in the center and supported the governments of the Restoration .

Another is from Portalis, In 1801 he was placed in charge of the Department of Religion or Public Worship, and in that capacity had the chief share in drawing up the provisions of the Concordat of 1801. In 1803 he became a member of the Académie française, in 1804 Minister of Public Worship, and in 1805 a Chevalier Grand-Croix de la Légion d'honneur. He soon after became totally blind, and, after an operation, he died at Paris.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4888 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like hours of wasted time ahead! Do you mean "négociant" in Marseilles? i.e. a wine merchant.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
New Zealand
238 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lostandfound to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
geoffHa ha let me paraphrase you..
That would be hours thumbing through the old books with a lovely glass of french wine, getting wasted?!

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4888 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, French wine is lovely, but you only need to go to Cloudy Bay, which is much more convenient.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
1147 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   04:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff, the Cloudy Bay of today is a very different drink to the ambrosia produced during the 80s. What a drink that was...
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2628 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice "Viterbo 116' letter.In 1809 the Papal States were annexed:Tibre(viterbo)/Rome and Trasimèn.
A link to french letters and départements.(page 56 for Viterbo116;page 31 for 104Turin).

https://www.asso-philatelique-montp...-nouveau.pdf
Edited by perf12 - 05/29/2020 3:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Viterbo is probably the second most common marking for the Departement du Tevere - 116. I have been trying to acquire the 116 markings and they quickly get very difficult.
I have Rome, Civitacastellana, Civitavecchia, Frosinone, Narni, Rieti, Ronciglione, Velletri, and Viterbo.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 281Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05