Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Confederate Stamps: Are These Genuine?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 547Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Doghunterr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These stamps are for sale on HipStamp. They are inexpensive. I'm thinking of buying but don't know much about CSA stamps. Looking for advice as to authenticity, please.

I'd also appreciate any recommendations of good, trustworthy sources for Confederate stamps.
I have searched online for info and looked at a number of websites. I have seen lots of pictures and tried to compare. Seems the more I read and see, the less I know and the more apprehensive I get about buying.
Thanks Forum members.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
8168 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   09:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trish Kaufmann
https://www.trishkaufmann.com/items-for-sale

You can also learn more by accessing many of her articles on Confederate postal history on the La Posta postal history website. You can access (and download back issues) the index here
http://www.lapostapub.com/LPIndex.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doghunterr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Don.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4884 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The more I see, the less I know". That's Montaignesque, mon ami.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2626 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All forgeries IMO. wrong E F in value tablet.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doghunterr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa, merci, I thought it more Mark Twain-like, n'est-ce pas?

Et merci a vous, perf12. Pardon mon pauvre Francaise. I don't see what you mean on the e's and f. It's the portrait and it's background that concern me, can't see much detail but that could be the scan.
I'm going to make an offer. At a low price they will be worth it, even if not genuine, as long as I learn something. And I like hands-on learning.
I'd still appreciate some more opinions though.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2626 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6506 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quick glance, all New York forgeries.

But ya, check the website authorities, by all means.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doghunterr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I've seen that and it makes me lean toward genuine. These are all supposed to be CSA #6 not #7. From what I see, the E's and F look right.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6506 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, that's not what I said. First the image isn't very good.
The middle two are definitely NY forgeries (ie fakes)
The other two either side MAY be legit, but a better image is needed.
These are pretty common. Unless the price is really good, and you don't mind a couple of fakes for reference (I certainly don't, I have three in my collection), you could probably find better examples of these else where.
Edited by jamesw - 05/28/2020 1:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doghunterr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another example of my confusion.
Both of these are listed for sale as CSA #11 Die a, by different sellers.

But they aren't the same.
I think the lighter, greenish one is #11 and the darker one is #12.
But that doesn't mean either is genuine, eh?
What do you think?
I am more interested in learning about Confederate stamps than just weeding out fakes, so the more detailed your comments, the better.
I'd like to hear what makes you think the ones in my original post are New York forgeries, jamesw.
Thanks to all.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2784 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is also a good time to become sensitive of the subtle differences in terminology. Bogus vs counterfeit vs facsimile vs fake vs forgery vs imitation vs reprint vs reproduction vs spoof, etc., etc.
Edited by John Becker - 05/28/2020 2:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6506 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Specifically Doghunterr, the two in the centre have a definite shorten mid stroke on the F's of the word FIVE. Also you can see pretty clearly a spot of colour at about the 2 o'clock position above the rosette in the upper left corner. These are sure signs of New York Forgeries (created by our friend J.W. Scott of Scott's Catalogue fame).
As I said the image isn't very great. I understand it is a sellers image, and out of your control. The cross stroke on the F's on the outer two stamps look a touch longer, but hard to tell. Also the spot of colour I mention can sometimes be faint. I think I see it on those two, but I'm not sure.
Buyer beware. If you are interested, go for it. I'm only saying there's lots of other examples out there if you are not sure of these.
Valued Member
218 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Dog Hunterr,

Another great resource is http://www.jlkstamps.com/csa.htm

Both Trish Kaufmann and John Kimbrough are very well respected CSA dealers and you can learn a great deal on both of their websites.

As for your second set of stamps, I believe you are correct that the first stamp is CSA 11 (based on the broken set of lines above the "e" and "n" of cents). As to the color, it is very difficult to determine color on screens. It is best to have several examples for comparisons. I can say that true green normally really stands out. If I had to guess the above example is (as you mentioned) "greenish" but not true green which carries a good premium. Again that is my opinion based on the scan and without comparative examples.

The second stamp is CSA 12. Based on the solid background in the portrait, this is likely a Keatinge and Ball printing vs the Archer Daly printing which have more of a crossing pattern in the background.

As for the initial set of pictures, another indicator that these might be New York Forgeries is the thicker frame line. This is a relatively easy comparison when you have originals available. If the cost is low and you want to build reference material this might make sense.

Hope this helps
Hobsun

Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doghunterr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a new guy here, I am amazed at the collective knowledge of you members and grateful for your willingness to share that knowledge. Thank you all for your input.
I bought 3 of the CSA #6 stamps pictured. When they arrive, I will scan them and post them, hopefully I'll get clearer pictures. I'm just as interested in them, whether genuine or not (not clear to me what to call the non-genuine ones, John Becker). But. I want to identify and label them correctly.
Thanks again,
John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2784 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The terminology for each non-genuine stamp depends on who made it, when, how, and for what purpose. There is not a one-term-fits all for these. Just a heads-up.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 547Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05