Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851 US One Cent Franklin - 99r2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 435Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
16 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mongoose23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just got my 99R2 certified by PSE. Does anyone have a guess as to the population of this stamp? It was a fantastic find and thought I would share with the Stamp Community Family.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks about right, but a scan / better picture would be nice.

99R2 drawing
http://goscf.com/t/58151&whichpage=8#646856
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mongoose23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is another pic.
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mongoose23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually the resolution is worse. Guess I shouldn't quit my day job to become a photographer.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mongoose23 - I like your 99R2. Did you get a grade from the PSE? I'd be curious, because I think they grade imperforates too harshly. For me, less than perfect centering on an imperforate stamp just isn't as distracting as it is on a perforated one. I think it is much more important that the cancel doesn't obscure key identifying features, especially on a stamp like a 99R2.

Here is one that I bought at a Siegel sale 1216 in February. It came back from the PF graded 90. Assuming it's worth about 50% of a standard cancel, I'm very happy with the price I paid.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
widglo - The Middendorf 99R2 you have is a very nice item.

Not just because it shows 4 margins, but because it is sound. At least per the description. Middendorf had some great stuff.

Regarding population of 99R2's, the really hard thing to do is to find a "sound" decent looking 99R2. Those are definitely truly rare items. So many 99R2's that look nice have at least one fault.

Imperforate 99R2's in general, can be found - I wouldn't call them rare. I would guesstimate less than 100 remain.

Perforate - maybe 30-40.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments, txstamp - I'm feeling better all the time that I made a wise purchase.

It's interesting to me that 89R2, while just as rare, is worth a just a small fraction as much as 99R2. I know 89R2 is a #7, but it would seem it should have as least some of the same kind of notoriety 99R2 has. Neinken, after all, wrote that it is the a "stamp showing the most pronounced double transfer, or reentry, on any U.S. stamp". I feel lucky to own a nice fault-free example of both.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On pages 18-20 of "The 1851 Issue of United States Stamps: a Sesquicentennial Retrospective", you will find a good write-up on the goings-on in the lower-right portion of plate 2, including 89R2 and 99R2.

This is part of the article "The Toppan Carpenter Plates and the Guide Reliefing Method".

You can find the book online here:
https://www.uspcs.org/resource-cent...nic-library/
Edited by txstamp - 05/29/2020 2:34 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1299 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mongoose, you called your 99R2 a fantastic find. May we infer from this that it was not identified as such when you came across it? If this is the case, well done and congratulations!
Valued Member
United States
16 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mongoose23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamp, Widglo46! My 99R2 was identified as Scott #20 on eBay. It was bid up a bit, as I wasn't the only one that found it was misidentified. Had it certified by PSE and came back with a "tiny thin", otherwise very clean. I did not have it graded, just certified as authentic.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mongoose - congratulations on your find. Its a nice appearing copy.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05