Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nz, Queen Victoria Six Pence (Brown) Wt Big Star, Perf 12 3/4

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 189Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
254 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Aurora to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all.
Would you please kindly help to identify New Zealand stamp: Queen Victoria Six Pence (brown) with a watermark - a big star, perf 12 3/4

Online I found info on stamps with perf 12 1/2 or 13 - 13 1/4 only.
If I measure this stamp with not such an accurate gauge, then the perfs look like 13. Please kindly advise. I appreciate any kind of comments.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
428 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if perf 13, watermark 6, I'd say Scott #19 Pretty bad shape, tho.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29718 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I appreciate any kind of comments.

Suggestion:
If you are going to consider 1/4 points in your guaging, and are a stamp collector, consider making up a Vario page with known perforation guaged stamps, they can be any country, as long as they are clean, crisp perforations.

Have them face down and write on the back the Guage as identified.

Then, when you come across dodgy, worn, badly perforated examples,
it becomes a peace of mind to use your vario page of perforations as an accurate guide to match to.

It is a simple, but trustworthy method of guaging, that overcomes bent perf pin examples etc.

Take into consideration as well, some catalogues only guage to the 1/2 a tooth.

Example:
Australia Sc#415 1966 $1 Mathew Flinders
Sc#415 14.5 x 14 $2
Sc#415a 15x14 $110
Keeping a used common stamp of the 14.5 x 15 in the vario page
is a simple fast, efficient way to identify the Valuable variable.
Personally, I distrust all these new fandangled digital Perf ID's.

Edited by rod222 - 05/30/2020 7:39 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Guage?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
381 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aurora,
If the stamp gauges exactly 12.75, Scott will round down to 12.5, but Stanley Gibbons will round up to 13.0. That might explain what you're finding online.

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 189Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05