Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Syrian Stamp Not In Catalogue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 273Next Topic  
Valued Member

Germany
139 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add withdrawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

The attached stamp is not registered in the Michel catalogue. Allegedly the stamp has been withdrawn. Or maybe it is unissued altogether. Normally that still justifies a catalogue number.

Thanks for help
Dieter

Send note to Staff
My website for withdrawn stamps:

http://withdrawn-english.jimdo.com

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2630 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Syrian postage stamp raises a scandal for containing the image of American soldiers….

Lubna Salem
April 25, 2016

A new Syrian postage stamp caused an uproar among those loyal to the Syrian regime, because it contained a picture of a memorial statue of the US Marines, as a picture of Syrian soldiers, after it replaced the American flag with the Syrian flag.
The last post of the General Post Corporation was issued on the 17th of April, as a commemorative value of 210 Syrian pounds, on the occasion of the "evacuation day", in which the Syrians celebrated the anniversary of the evacuation of the last soldier of French colonialism, from Syrian territory in 1946.
The news agency, "The Times of the Levant", had revealed the true image of the character, for the Syrians to circulate on social media, expressing surprise at the state of despair in which some government institutions deal with citizens. Whereas, regime loyalists expressed their anger over the situation of American soldiers instead of Syrian soldiers.
The image designers were inspired by a memorial located in Virginia, USA, which was taken from a film showing five members of the US Marines as they hoisted the American flag on top of Mount Suribachi(Iwo Jima) in February 1945, after the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.
(from alarby.co.uk_25/04/2016)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 05/30/2020 4:45 pm
Valued Member
Germany
139 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add withdrawn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@perf12

Thank you. The reason is clear now. I assume the stamp has been withdrawn very soon/immediately after issue ?

Is there a catalogue number in Scott/SG/Yvert ?

Valued Member
Germany
139 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add withdrawn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The news agency, "The Times of the Levant", had revealed the true image of the character, for the Syrians to circulate on social media, expressing surprise at the state of despair in which some government institutions deal with citizens."

Sorry, my English is probably not good enough but what does that mean ? What is meant by the stamp showing despair of government institutions dealinsg with their citizens ? I am not getting the gist...

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
985 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Outremer01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not mentioned or listed in SG Middle East (1st edition 2018).
Not listed in UPU/wns website (www.wnsstamps.post).
No mention on SyriaPost web-site (arabic).
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 273Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05