Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sad Day In Minneapolis - Post Office Burned Down

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,360Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
216 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All - this morning my wife was out helping with cleanup in the area involved in the riots and she sent this sad picture of the US Post Office. Looks like it was completely burned down - it appeared to her that there were some neighbors there helping clean it up. I wondered why the Post Office wouldn't be there ASAP to secure any mail that would be salvageable. Perhaps they were already through it but I'm not sure. Unbelievable times.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6804 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Makes a lot of sense - burn down your own city

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6742 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happened many times before over the last 100 years. Genuine protests often bring out the thieving hoodlum trash as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1360 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here in Denver, we've seen anarchists and, suspected, some far right wing militia types, stirring things up. But the postal facilities are not close to where our riots have occurred. Oh, and local news said an undercover cop was outed as one of the Minneapolis rioters.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6742 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After two months of a lockdown, a lot of people are angry and frustrated. So there are people legitimately protesting the systemic racism that ends in murder, and there are people who were just looking for an excuse to run hog wild. And this is it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4725 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The backlash to all this is coming . Wait until the Post Office is getting sued for mishandling the mail at that Post Office , they have their own protective service where was it ?.......law suit crazyness .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6742 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow I doubt that the courts would uphold a suit against the PO because it got burned in a riot.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5948 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was actually a retired postman there yesterday afternoon (might have been Friday) filling bins with any mail he could recover.
Learn More...
8181 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, I do not fully understand the protesting.

There are more white people killed by police each year than Afro-Americans. But it is true that there is a disparity in terms of population proportions; Afro-Americans make up 13% of the population but make up 30% of the people fatally shot by police. But study after study** has shown that this disparity is explained by differences in rates of exposure to the police.

If folks wanted to protest and draw attention to a true murder tragedy; why not protest the 500 murders in Chicago last year, or the 273 homicides in Detroit?

Without question there are those in power who abuse it and victimize others; law enforcement, politicians, corporate people all have some very bad actors who should be removed from power and never given it again. But the issue here is how to respond to it. For law enforcement we have to figure out how get those who do this, from the cop on the beat all the way up to the highest ranking FBI officials, removed before they destroy the lives of others. For politicians we have to vote them out.

But ultimately we need a media which is fair, impartial, and can be trusted. We need them to assist in getting the bad actors identified and keeping the pressure on those in power to remove those who abuse. In my opinion, the media has totally failed at this important role. Trust in the media has been hovering around the all-time low over the past 3-4 years in the US and it should be. Every single media outlet can easily be tagged as 'left or right' within 30 seconds. Our choice is to ignore the news media and be uninformed or watch the news media and be misinformed. If you want to be informed you have to invest significant amounts of time (and money) searching for and digesting the actual data and studies.

And I think that we need to reject the 'resist' narrative at any level. 'Resist' is not a productive strategy and I think it can lead to what we are seeing here. If hobbyists did not like the direction of the APS, would we 'resist' and do whatever we could to bring them down? Or would we attempt to make improvements, make changes through voting, volunteering, and building a better direction? If your child tries out for the little league team but does not make it, do you tell them to go rip up the ball field or that you will get a lawyer and sue the league? Or do you help them practice and get better? The 'yardstick' is simple; is the behavior productive or destructive?
Don

** One of the largest fatal police shootings studies is here https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/ab...nalCode=sppa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6742 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Every single media outlet can easily be tagged as 'left or right' within 30 seconds."

Since this is totally based on ones individual beliefs, this will never change. It can't; people will always call them left or right based on their perceptions. I once worked with someone who called the NY Times a "communist newspaper" (this was about 20 years ago). That seems a bit extreme to me, but not to him.
I do think there are fairly centrist media, but I know that there are people here who would laugh at the idea. But that personal belief system viewpoint is never going to change.
Edited by revcollector - 05/31/2020 11:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
928 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So there are people legitimately protesting the systemic racism that ends in murder, and there are people who were just looking for an excuse to run hog wild. And this is it.

This awakens vivid memories of Berkeley in 1989, when protests gave kids from the suburbs an excuse to ransack the stores on Telegraph Avenue. I especially remember one night, when some of my co-workers and I (including a big, burly punk-rocker armed with a length of pipe) were cordoned in front of our workplace, while we watched The Gap being looted across the street.
Learn More...
8181 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed to a point, but to this day I do not know Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley, or Edward R. Murrow's political leanings.

But this aside, it is true that trust in the news media is currently horrid and at historic lows.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4491 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be interested in watching or reading news from a "centrist" news organization. Any suggestions?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6742 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not that you will consider centrist. As I said, everyone views things through their own perceptions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
926 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember hearing why the "victim" was arrested by the police. What did he do or was suspected of doing?

I no longer watch network news programs. They all use too many adjectives that are not necessary to report an event.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6742 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Agreed to a point, but to this day I do not know Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley, or Edward R. Murrow's political leanings."

That has far less to do with them personally then it does to the fact that in their day TV news was presented as a service. Profit never entered into the equation. Once it became a profit center that all changed, and most TV news went in search of a core audience. Some are still more centrist then others to me, but everyone is going to have make their own determinations on that.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,360Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05