Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sad Day In Minneapolis - Post Office Burned Down

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,032Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5637 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - He was suspected of passing a counterfeit $20 bill.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had read it was a routine traffic stop, he'd run a stop sign.

edit: I just realized I was thinking of another televised arrest of a young black man in his own driveway, which I saw on the new the other night.
That one was also over the top for the alleged crime. Get's hard to keep it all straight these days.
Edited by jamesw - 05/31/2020 5:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't matter. He had already been subdued, and was in handcuffs before the whole "neck incident" started..
Valued Member
276 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was passing a $20 counterfeit bill.

The degree of boarding up businesses around my neighborhood is staggering. Restaurants & bars were getting ready to reopen June 1st and then this happens. I can't imagine being a restaurant owner trying to go through these days.

Hopefully tonight will be quiet again ... seems that 1,000s of National Guard made all the difference. I'm really uncertain how this will end. Talk of law enforcement reform always crops up following events like this but positive outcomes seem elusive.

Sorry to throw this into non-stamp talk but originally was interested in how the PO protects mail during crisis.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5353 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some sort of perspective, I understand that around 1,000 people are killed by the police in the US each year. In Britain, the annual average over a twenty-year period is three. That is a shocking level of institutionalised violence.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of differences between the two, size, population, guns. etc. But there are far too many deaths by police here. Even if one assumes that 50% are genuinely necessary. Which is just a guess, I don't know what the % of unavoidable deaths actually is.
Learn More...
8952 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   4:58 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USA ranks 32rd of all countries for killing by law enforcement per capita, England ranks 45th. I do not think that the England data includes the number of people killed by Royal Armed Forces in 'civilian actions' (i.e 300+ killed in Northern Ireland through 2007).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1204 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
in their day TV news was presented as a service. Profit never entered into the equation. Once it became a profit center that all changed, and most TV news went in search of a core audience

Agree wholeheartedly. While Murrow, Cronkite and the like certainly had their political leanings, those did not come through the TV screen to their audience. News reporting, at the very least, seemed to be unbiased. Now there is no attempt, on either side of the political divide, to appear unbiased, let alone to actually be unbiased. The voice of the reasoned middle seems to be almost nonexistent.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Their political leanings came through only when they chose to let them. It was obvious that Morrow hated McCarthy and everything he stood for, for example.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5637 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The business model for the media now involves creating anger, outrage and division. They are also more about entertainment in a 24/7 news cycle. Opinion and news are blended into one. Leftist media is promoting that right wing extremists are stoking the violence. Right leaning media is promoting that left wing groups are stoking the violence.

So much of it does a great disservice. The "Chinese" virus becomes xenophobic while Rome burns. When the classified coronavirus briefing was held in February for the Senate only two Senators showed up. The others were busy crafting their Ukraine phone call impeachment questions. The media coverage demanded that they appease the news cycle and impeachment was deemed more important than a coming pandemic.

I read a lot of stories now tying guns to the George Floyd case. One side uses a tragedy to rally the troops even though nothing about this sad episode involves a gun. But hey, why stay on topic if it does not fire up your partisan viewership/readership.

We need to come together as Americans and the media as currently constituted has no interest in unity. It is bad for business.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"When the classified coronavirus briefing was held in February for the Senate only two Senators showed up. The others were busy crafting their Ukraine phone call impeachment questions. The media coverage demanded that they appease the news cycle and impeachment was deemed more important than a coming pandemic."

Perhaps you should read this:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...cency-155058
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7231 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fellow stamp collectors, can we go back to collecting please?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
3345 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Peter!!
This thread should have discussed how damaged post offices recover and deal with disasters - fire, flood, tornado, etc. How is mail salvaged, security maintained, operations restored, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2726 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do we think any of the covers damaged will become collectible?
Edited by stampcrow - 05/31/2020 8:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That was my first thought when I saw the photo of the PO.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,032Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05