Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Building One Sided Page 1s Album

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 500Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NicholasC to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Trying a new idea. Building an album with one sided page 1s (and some page 2s) from each country from 1947 Scott International. Stamps are mounted using Scott mounts and then inserted into page protectors (hence the glare) in a Vario G binder. Facing page on left is my copy original. Thoughts? Are standard cheap page protectors ok as long as mounts are used? Also used basic Inkjet printer.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4707 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everybody does it their way ,what works for you may not work for them . Seen a lot of ways to display stamps but it comes down to what works for each one . Good Luck .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4871 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicholas - enjoy. Really no need to use plastic page holders if you're using mounts, rather than hinges. One question would be what your left-hand page is offering, given you can see the information on the right-hand side. Perhaps use it for used copies - I've done that with some albums.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Scott International image takes up the full 8.5 by 11 leaving no room for 3 hole punches without breaching the frame. The left page is just regular copy paper and I can use that to copy onto heavy paper (using 65lb card stock that is probably overkill) and create another page if I mess it up (which is known to happen) or want to use for my 1000s of duplicates.
Edited by NicholasC - 06/01/2020 3:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
NicholasC,
I use a similar method with my US collection. I use Showgard or Prinz mounts on blank 24lb 100% cotton pages, and then insert them in Avery heavy weight sheet protectors. Everything is acid-free and archival safe. Blank pages have a clean appearance. The sheet protectors keep the larger mounts from "flapping" when turning pages. I really like your idea of incorporating older album pages. I may try that on some of my new foreign acquisitions, but my question is: Is inkjet printer ink acid-free? Thanks for sharing your idea.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't really know if the Inkjet ink is acid free. I have a Canon and use Canon PG-240. I hear Laserjet is better, but I am not sure I really need it. That said, the ink doesn't touch the stamps because they are all in mounts. My guess is the ink may fade over time, but not sure I care so much. I have all of the original pages (though in very poor shape which is why I copied them as a template). I suppose it's possible that the ink might stick to the page protector if in humid areas (which I plan to avoid).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1011 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
why don't you put the "original" copies on copy paper behind the ones on card stock? Would look less busy.
C.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had that originally, but then decided it was nicer to have the original copy facing the page so could see what it looks like under the stamp without having to look at the back. I plan to have a title page at the front (listing countries included), so the first page will have it's original copy also on the left.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
61 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting idea make your own album from parts of the Scott album. I make my own pages for my first issue collection (first stamp or set of stamps listed in the catalog). I use 100 lb paper (over kill, I know) along with Avery 74171 Multi-Page Heavyweight sheet protectors. I mount the stamps and use photo corners for the covers. Everything is acid free. Yes there are cases where I have more in paper, mounts and protector than the stamps on the page.

I went this direction instead of hole punching the pages for a couple of reasons. Protects my covers without worrying about mounts and longevity of the pages. Started about 3 years ago making pages and hope to think I have another 25-30 years of collecting.

NicholasC you might check out the First Issue Collectors Club www.firstissues.org for info on the early issues. You can check the website and also follow on Twitter #First_Stamps

I mount the pages back to back.

Kurt

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2775 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You have a nice reference work!
Al
Pillar Of The Community
769 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you posted to get some feedback, goods and bads, including suggestions about what you're doing.

I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to do here, but I don't understand what the photo-copied pages on the left side do? I can see the page on the right with the stamps on it, and I can see the blank boxes where no stamps have been mounted yet. So what do I gain from having a "xerox" copy of the original album page on the left side? It doesn't seem to add anything useful. It might be useful to do what Stanley Gibbons albums do which is to provide on the left hand page some details of each stamp on the right hand page -- subject matter, perforations when relevant, date issued, that sort of thing. I'd find that useful. But a xerox copy of the page when it was empty? I don't know.

The current use of three-ring binders and plastic page covers seems like an unstoppable phenomenon with many collectors today. I'm sure it makes for thrifty albums, but they sure don't appeal to me. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Each time you want to add a new stamp, do you have to pull the album page out of its page protector? All those removings and re-insertings of the album page don't damage the stamps or the page? With all my albums, I'm very gentle with the pages, trying to barely touch the page as I turn them, keeping my fingers away from my stamps, and so on. I'm a bit compulsive that way. With your system, I'd think you'd have to pull that page out -- and slide it back in -- fairly forcefully. It makes me nervous to even think about it. Wouldn't interleaving pages do the same job as your page protectors without your having to remove and reinsert the pages? I use interleaving in my International albums, and it protects the stamps without making accessing the stamps on the pages difficult at all.

You mentioned that the 8.5 x 11" format won't permit entire Scott International pages to fit. "The Scott International image takes up the full 8.5 by 11 leaving no room for 3 hole punches without breaching the frame," you said. But why do you have to use a three-ring binder? There are many other stamp album binders of differing sizes you could use with different numbers of rings, plus two-post binders and springback binders, as well. You're cutting the Scott International pages down to fit your page protectors, I assume? I guess this just seems like a lot of work to produce an album that maybe I don't quite understand.

Of course if you're happy with it, and it does things you want done, you shouldn't care what I think obviously. It's a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun.
Edited by DrewM - 06/05/2020 04:17 am
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NicholasC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for post, Drew. I appreciate the feedback. My reasons for the page on the left are to keep it safe and close to the real page and have a view of the image behind the stamp without having to look under the stamp, not that I would ever need to do that. I don't have enough time left on this earth (I think) to do anything more special with the collection. I'm not yet sold on 3 ring binders, but I'm considering the Steiner pages which are designed for that. I have printed off a few samples, and although they do have room for hole punches, they don't appeal to me as much as the Scott pages (yeah, I know Scott isn't perfect (and certainly far from complete), but it is the base of my entire collection). With the Scott International pages that I have made copies of, since my printer is limited to 8.5 x 11 and I don't really want to buy something different, I thought I would try to see if I could build an 8.5 x 11 version of the Scott pages. I am not cutting the Scott pages, but rather I center the framed area on the my copier and just make a copy of the empty page (using draft mode and a tad light on the intensity to hide the any hinge remnant markings). Turns out that they fit nicely on the 8.5 x 11 page, but leave no room for hole punches, so I thought why not insert them into page protectors even if it is overkill. The total cost of a page is like 13 cents, plus mounts for the stamps. I acquired a rather large collection back in November, 14 International large binders overstuffed with pages (including dozens of extra pages in each album) where virtually all of the pages are full of stamps, including in the margins, from 1840 to 1973. I now have no desire to acquire any more stamps. Once I mount what I have, already a daunting task, the page will be put away and it would be highly unlikely to come out again. My first goal is to protect the oldest (and most valuable) stamps first, i.e. get them out of the old acidic albums, properly identify them, put them into glassines, and eventually mount them on new pages. After that, who knows. It might be that I stop with the page 1s and 2s. I also have a 2nd 1947 album (decent shape but not really worth mounting anything in), new Part II pages (1940-1949) that have nothing mounted and are sitting in 2-post binders, specialty pages for China, France, and Germany, and of course I have my U.S. collection in Scott National that I haven't looked at in years. I have no idea what my collection is worth and to tell you the truth I don't care. I simply love the history and the beauty of the collection.
Edited by NicholasC - 06/05/2020 10:25 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 500Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05