Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Airmail Stamps In The World

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 746Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Romania
181 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cupram to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In accordance with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmail_stamp
these are the "first airmail stamps" in the world.
In all three stamps, the part of the cancel is almost identical:
-IO 1917 (from MAGIO)
-REA (from POSTA AEREA)
- O (from TORINO)
-MA (from ROMA)
Are these genuine cancels, forgeries or postal?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29695 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They were the first airmail stamps issued by a Government Postal Service.

The First Airmail stamp was a 5c adhesive label issued in 1877 by "Professor" Samuel King, for use on mail carried by the balloon "Buffalo" from Nashville, Tennessee. Printed in blue, it showed a balloon in flight.

Excludes, in the main, souvenir labels issued by aviation meetings, across the world, that may have issued semi official airmails.

Bib: The Guiness Book of Stamps. Facts and Feats. Pp135 Mackay.
ISBN 0851122418

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 06/02/2020 07:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4872 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, the ballon monté siege of Paris flights preceded these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_mail
Pillar Of The Community
France
1158 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But "ballon monté" flights used ordinary stamps,not special airmail stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1458 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But the stamps used on the Paris flights appear to be the normal stamps of the day - not designated as air mail or balloon mail.

Here is an interesting exhibition of Franco-Prussian war siege mail:

https://www.rfrajola.com/Philex99/Philex99.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4872 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That raises an interesting question, mes amis. The 1936 flight pair are clearly air-mail stamps, as is the 1938 Ader and its 1941 surcharged version, even though none has the words "poste aérienne" on it. Britain hasn't issued air-mail stamps as such, but plainly certain denominations were used for that postage and intended as such.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
923 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am no cancel expert but to me it is suspicious that the only part of the cancel visable and showing is the same identical part on all three, just in different positions. Too bad they were not entire covers. All one can see is the year "1917." and the last of the word "rea"
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/02/2020 9:49 pm
Valued Member
Romania
181 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cupram to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found in "philatelyclub" this set of cancellations on the souvenir postcard.

But, the paper on which my stamps are glued is 0.04 mm thick.
I am waiting for any opinion on the cancellations.Thank you.
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redsfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Never forget that wiki was founded on presenting their beliefs to the rest of the world without any vetting or investigation. I never use it. It can not be trusted as you have learned.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1310 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   3:33 pm  Show Profile Check CanadaStamp's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frustrating to see people pan wiki. It's a brilliant device that enjoys massive peer review. How many books in the average library get such expert (and novice) attention. Very few.

PS Wiki is not about "beliefs." It's about information.
Edited by CanadaStamp - 06/03/2020 3:34 pm
Learn More...
8143 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   3:46 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Frustrating to see people pan wiki. It's a brilliant device that enjoys massive peer review. How many books in the average library get such expert (and novice) attention. Very few.

PS Wiki is not about "beliefs." It's about information.

Ok, so I went to Wiki and found this "Wikipedia is not a reliable source."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip...iable_source

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4872 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgive me, but I have not learned that Wikipedia "can not be trusted". It rightly shows that the first stamps used for an air service were French issues used at the time of the siege of Paris. These were also stamps with a genuine and necessary postal use, unlike the philatelic creations designed to empty collectors' pockets and known as "air-mail stamps".
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2621 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
cupram: I am not sure if your stamps have genuine cancels.They do not have that 'bite' in them.They look all the same… Anyway ;I would not bet on them.
There were some stamps sent on simple envelopes:that can also be a reason for thinner paper.If stamps were at one time on envelopes:why would someone cut them out? No collector in his right mind would of done that…
Also these stamps officialy used are more valuable than mint examples..
Learn More...
8143 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   4:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi GeoffHa,
But Wiki says about itself, "Wikipedia is not a reliable source". So if Wiki is not a reliable source and Wiki says 'Wiki is not reliable', then is it a case of double negative actually meaning that they are indeed reliable?

In my opinion Wiki is not much different than this community. The combined knowledge is considerable but you can never get away from the fact that bad information gets posted. Many feel that 'falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus'.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4872 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My link was to an article that referred (accurately) to the ballon monté and saved me from scanning a chunk of material from an Yvert catalogue. I don't believe everything I read on Wikipedia (or here), but the phrase it "can not be trusted as you have learned" is not accurate in this case.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, what kind of stamp is this?

Edited by bookbndrbob - 06/03/2020 8:16 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 746Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05