Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Airmail Stamps In The World

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 747Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4872 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   03:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Par avion? Same design appears on a few, but far from all, of the "E" stamps issued for sending certain mail to mainland Europe. My understanding is that Royal Mail anbandoned the use of E stamps, presumably because of lack of clarity of value to other postal administrations.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
923 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bookbndrbob, from what I see it looks like postage to mail a postcard only to anywhere in the world you choose to send it.
Or else she is advertising for a barber during the pandemic. Sorry, but it does look like a barber pole on the right edge.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4196 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1philatelist, it does look a little bit like a barber pole, but to me it looks identical to the pattern used on airmail covers for many decades. That was my point in asking the question.

To me, it is an interesting stamp because neither the name of the country, nor the fact (?) that the service is to be priority/expedited specified.

Scott catalog lists these as airmail stamps, but I have not found Scott to be completely reliable when it comes to stamps from outside of the USA area of collecting. So, are they really airmail stamps?
Edited by bookbndrbob - 06/04/2020 10:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
923 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Bob, I see what you mean. And as we all know Britian, never did put its name on any stamps as the reigning monarch's head tells you what country its from, as they were first. I would tend to believe that almost all mail going outside the country to others, especially overseas would most likely be by air. Unless it went in a container by ship which is what is most likely happening now at this time.
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/04/2020 10:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
France
1158 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This british site shows two booklets (airmail labels + stamps)
http://www.norphil.co.uk/2010/03d-d...ves-2010.htm
Edited by vayolene - 06/05/2020 12:28 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 747Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05