Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Albino Print On 726 "Fundy"

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 720Next Topic
Page: of 2
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   3:15 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A different angle from the front. You can see all of Canada in the albino position here.

BTW, some of the letters appear on the back that are "Albino" on the front.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Specializing in Canadian Revenues
Also Canada / USA EFO's
www.morelandrevenuestamps.com

SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From AQ, "(the print pressure would have been the same for both)"

No ink would mean less pressure, correct?

Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Pillar Of The Community
7116 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi steve123

just did a software trick to see the ghost print..Hope you dont mind.

Robert

Learn More...
8261 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   3:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The color histogram above is showing color differences in the image only.

If you took a laser and cut a line on a piece of white paper, then scanned the paper, then saved the scanner image to a jpg file, a color histogram would show it like the above. The image software manipulates the pixels; the image below is not simply black and white but rather 55 different colors. A color histogram looks for these RGB or CMYK pixel level differences and then highlights them in vivid colors to make them stand out.

It could also be that the ink themselves have slightly merged right at the edge.

The point is that there are a number of things at play with an image color histogram.
Don
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't mind at all, Wert! Thank you for this.
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From AQ, "(the print pressure would have been the same for both)"

No ink would mean less pressure, correct?

No the opposite I think. This is recess printing we are talking about not typography. With recess printing the ink is applied onto a plate which has had the desired image cut into it. Then the excess ink on the surface of the plate is removed and the paper pressed onto the plate from the back of the paper forcing it into the cuts so it picks up the ink and causing a slight embossed effect on he front surface. No ink would mean the image lines would be fractionally deeper and the paper more "embossed". How much you would see this in practice I have no idea. If you look at the stamps you have from the back you will see what I mean.

This is an image that I have just taken with my phone. You can clearly see the (unfortunately ) single impression dented into the back of the paper. All the stamps in the plate blocks are the same.

I would expect a albino impression to show just as clearly. As is typical with recess printing you can just about feel the indents in the back.

An image of the back of the stamp in question would be most helpful as can be seen from the one above and should quickly settle this question. An albino print from a recess plate must indent the paper

AQ
Edited by Anthraquinone - 06/05/2020 4:44 pm
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the above stamp, even the black from the reverse is very difficult to see. The photo below is from the other that I have. Both black and albino show. Albino is fainter.

Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Pillar Of The Community
7116 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
410 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anthraquinone to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve123
That image looks better and you can just about see 2 impressions.

But perhaps if you played around with the lighting and the angle you are taking the picture from you could do better. I would suggest a north facing window for the light source and to get rid of the artificial lights. You also need to look at a shallow angle in almost the opposite direction to the light source.A modern mobile phone is ideal for this sort of image because of its depth of field. (photography is my other main hobby)

If you can get a good photo of both impressions it will certainly help illustrate your write up.

AQ
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 720Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05