Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 37- Scott 41 Interesting Perforation.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 532Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
7124 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all
I was going through my collection of over 300 - Small Queen 3cent stamps...I was categorizing them by perforations.

We know that perforations come in the assigned perfs
Scott 37

12 x 12
12.5 x 12.5
11.5 x 12

Scott 41

12 x 12
12 x 12.25

Here is one that I do not see in any catalouge that I have access to.
Below is a perforation that seems to be 12.25 x 12

Correct me if I am wrong.
Robert
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
580 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wert,

According to Hillson, some of the 12x12.25 were printed 12.25x12 and rarely 12.25x12.25

I have several of all these perf variations.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7124 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 3Dadeo

Does Hillson have a website or is it in a form of a book...I am interested on how many exist and the rarity of these perfs.

I have gone through about 50 of my 300+ Small Queens so far.

Robert

Does this 12.25x12.25 count...I know the side I should have moved the gauge a bit to the right...But you get the idea.

Edited by wert - 06/03/2020 7:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3292 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to an article on Small Queens by John Hillson: http://www.canadianpsgb.org.uk/small_queens.html
These stamps above and their gauge readings are examples that are not covered by the Kiusalas Canada perforation gauge. However, the Kiusalas Canada specialized perforation gauge is still touted as the best perforation gauge for these stamps. From experience, it seems that it's a long and hard battle to bring any real changes and improvements into this area. Without any connections and support, there is no real change and improvement.
Edited by jogil - 06/04/2020 07:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
7124 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Without any connections and support, there is no real change and improvement.

I understand what you are saying Jogil.
It can be frustrating trying to get support for anything outside the normal.

Robert

Edited by wert - 06/04/2020 10:03 am
Learn More...
8275 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   10:40 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And it can be frustrating for casual collectors to have to pay extra for larger catalogs and albums when they are not interested in collecting stamps with very minor differences.

This is where the internet can help, anyone can post here for free and call out these kinds of specialized details. And of course folks can also easily start their own website and fill it with all kinds of specialized philatelic information; no special coding knowledge needed, virtually anyone can do it.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
580 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wert,

To answer your question, my information comes from the 2008 edition of "Canada postage Stamps of the Small Queen Era" by Hillson and Nixon. Published by Vincent Graves Greene.

In it, Hillson does recognize a 12X12.25 perf for 1896-97 (contrary to his original position on the link provided).

He also says that this perf can be from 12.15 - 12.22mm (if you are able to get that precise - I can't)

He does not mention whether the reverse (12.25x12) or 12.25x12.25 applies to 1896-97.

I have stamps of these latter perfs that look like the later (2nd Ottawa) printings (based on paper, colour, position dots and of course dated cancels).

I have not found anything more definitive in research, but there is a lot out there, so if anyone has more info on this, I would be happy to know about it.

PS: your stamp does look like a 12.25x12.25 Montreal printing (late 1880's)
Edited by 3Dadeo - 06/05/2020 12:31 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7124 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PS: your stamp does look like a 12.25x12.25 Montreal printing (late 1880's)

3Dadeo...I agree.
Like you stated that there is more and more perforation out there that would be beneficial to stamp collectors.

Just for fun, I have gone through approx. 375 3cent Small Queens to see what perfs are more plentiful and more rare...My analyst on this matter is not LAW..Just to see what percentage out there that collectors can expect to see in their collection.{still have about 50 more to look at}

Edited..M mistake 3Dadeo...
Forgive me 3Dadeo, it must be old age catching up to me...sorry.

Here is another list of 3cent Small Queen perforations that exist thanks to Jogil {Perforation Guru}

Edited by wert - 06/05/2020 2:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
580 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting table for what it is. Thanks.

You make no distinction on the printing era and I would recommend that as the next step (though it is much easier said than done of course).

I think the 12.75x12 should be 11.75x12 (?)

Also, you list one of the perfs (12.25x12) twice.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 532Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05