Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gibbons Does Another Redo On 399 Strand

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 367Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got my May Gibbons Stamp Monthly and found an article about another redesign of their store at 399 Strand in London. Can someone refresh my memory- didn't they just do this a few years back? On this one they plan to renovate the ground floor store. It sounds as if they may be getting rid of the retail stamp counter; They plan lots of interactive displays, etc.

I am going to assume they know what they are doing. However they do not have the best history of that. I live in the USA but one of the best philatelic experiences for visiting collectors has been a visit to their shop. I know we have members on here that live nearby and maybe someone can update us as to what the dickens is going on here?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps1962 - 06/03/2020 9:53 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
Posted 06/03/2020   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They last refurbished in 2010. They rebranded the website and other collateral starting in September 2019, so a corresponding rework of the store is unsurprising. They had hoped to complete it by the London 2020 exhibition of early May 2020, but perhaps it's a few weeks beyond that. All brands evolve over time so this is not a big deal. I'm sure a visit to 399 Strand, when it becomes possible for us foreigners, will be as valuable as it has been in the past.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1908 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   7:47 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting how your memory plays tricks. I had been thinking their last refurbishment was just a few years back, not ten. I don't know if anyone else saw the article but I don't recall seeing anything about them planning to maintain the ground floor sales facilities. It sounded to me more that they planned to create an information center with interactive features,and exhibits. Nothing was mentioned about the sales counter. They apparently have plans to enlarge and improve the auction area upstairs.
Edited by Stamps1962 - 06/04/2020 7:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
804 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few pics of the makeover in this article:

https://www.antiquestradegazette.co...nd-showroom/
-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05