Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying Heavily Worn Stamp With Unique? Border

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 619Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for someone to help me with identifying this stamp. I know not much is left, but there is one very distinguishing feature that remains, the border. I have looked at countless images online and have not found anything close that has a border design with this profile (circled in red on the image). The border design is an octagon shape (ie clipped corners).

For context, the age is likely between 1910-1920's based upon the item to which it is affixed. I would find it hard to believe it would be anything other than United States in origin. Were there private shipping stamps for freight/packages at this time? I have looked at just about everything I could find as far as US stamps from this period to no avail. Is it possibly a tax stamp? State issue?

It is 1 1/8" x 7/8" in size approximately. Any and all help is appreciated, I have been trying to run this one down for over a year.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You should explain to us what it is attached to. A photo would help.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, please provide a glare-free photo of the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4202 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The glare gives the impression that the surface has been painted over or polished.

From what I can see (not much) only decorative ornaments appear. Don't see any words or numbers. It appears to be a label rather than a stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be. Could be just about anything.

Bottom line, OP needs to show a picture of the entire item. It is not reasonable to ask us to identify a badly damaged "stamp" (we don't even know if it's a real stamp or simply decorative) with lots of glare, and not show the entire item. I feel like I'm being asked to play the "ID this stamp from a small snippet game".
Edited by khj - 06/04/2020 1:55 pm
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks bookbndrbob, I had not even considered that it might be a label rather than a stamp.

The stamp is on a curved piece of wood (furniture leg), and yes, has a film that produces a lot of glare when photographed. Without light you would see even less detail as it is quite faded and damaged. Since the only detail left is the decorative border, I thought that would be enough to maybe give some direction to a search, if more detail is required, then there is no point in providing another photo, because there isn't anything else to see.

I know the dates because of the history of the item, more precisely it would have been applied on or after 1916 but not beyond the 1920's. I thought it might have something to do with freight shipping at the time.

Thanks for the input.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4009 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
327 Posts
Posted 06/04/2020   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two things to do:
Take a photo without glare and run it through retroreveal.org. To try and see if there is any usable pattern, even a number or letter or two. That may help eventually and you can do it from your desk at home.

The other is to pursue the style of furniture it is on. For example, arts and crafts has its own bible of makers marks.
Check the page at: http://www.arts-craftsconference.co...rksbook.html.
Ran into this some years ago when staying at an old friends house - he showed me a few of his various Stickley labels. I immediately became very, very careful where I put any water or cocktail glass....

United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EFLargeCents to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. While I don't believe it is a furniture maker label, I am starting to believe it is a label (not a stamp). At and extreme viewing angle I believe there might be faint writing/marking present. It is illegible, but doesn't appear to be a design on the label itself. I'll keep playing with viewing angles and see what I can do in terms of photography, but I am leaning now towards some sort of applied label and not a stamp. This has been most helpful, thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 619Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05