Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Your Opinion Of Steiner Stamp Album Pages?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,555Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29702 Posts
Posted 06/08/2020   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's great about Bill Steiner's pages is that they even exist at all. They are decent-looking pages covering every country in the world. Anyone with about $50 can print them to make a stamp album.I bet Bill Steiner has brought more new collectors into stamp collecting than just about anyone else. Before Steiner pages, starting a stamp collection meant you had to get over the hurdle of spending a lot of money for an album. With Bill Steiner's pages, that's not necessary any more. For that alone, he deserves a medal from some stamp organizations.

Wow!
what a review........balanced, polite, broad ranging and extensive.
I heartily agree, and yes, I am biased.
He saved the hobby for me, I had stamps everywhere, in packets, envelopes on Graph Paper, in Hagners, my enjoyment was waning
there was just no order.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4875 Posts
Posted 06/09/2020   02:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp collecting has never entailed spending a lot of money on an album, much though album manufacturers might like us to believe that. Buying some paper, some hinges, a springback album, borrowing a catalogue from the library ... kids in the sixties could afford that. Take a look at lots 365, 366 and 371 (other pages from this collection are dotted through the sale). Patently not a child, but an adult who didn't need a printed page to show off his/her collection ...

https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/a...ved?save=yes
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 06/10/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After doing a search for Steiner stamp pages, I found the website at stampalbums.com. If you're looking for specific sets (Burkina Faso/Upper Volta elephants, Belgian King Philippe, etc.), this might be the website for you. However, if you have duplicate stamps for multiple years of the same country, search for a seller that deals with that country. The stamp pages that are half illustrative, half blank work for me. Or design your own pages from blank pages.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1032 Posts
Posted 06/13/2020   12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone remember the original Steiner Album pages from the 1980's?
The were clones of Scott Specialty albums in size and design.
He stopped making them about 1992 and switched to current size and design.
Pillar Of The Community
769 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Stamp collecting has never entailed spending a lot of money on an album . . . . "

Correct, but only if you bought (or were given) a very modest album. Or if you tried making your own album from notebook paper and a 3-ring binder. Otherwise, it did cost a lot of money. Sixty years ago (when I began collecting), a middle-range album was far more than any young collector could possibly afford, and a top-of-the-line album was out of the question for nearly all collectors. The same thing is true today 60 years later.

Here are some examples. 'm looking at an ad for H.E. Harris albums from 1960. I was 12 years old in 1960 so I had little money to spend, maybe a few bucks from time to time. I'll price pre-printed albums of the type most collectors used then -- and still use today.

For Harris beginner world albums like the "Ambassador" and "Statesman" which looked nice but had very few stamp spaces, prices were $5 and $6 respectively. That was quite a few months of my allowance. So I couldn't afford them. If you're curious $5 for an album in 1960 dollars is the equivalent of $45 today. How many young collectors in 1960 had the equivalent of $45 for a beginner album? No one I knew. How many young collectors can spend $45 for a beginner album today? Few.

The Harris Statesman is still sold today -- except it now costs twice as much as back then -- $90. For a modest worldwide album, that is a heck of a lot of money.

Mid-range albums wouldn't fill up so quickly and were probably a better choice. The Senior Statesman (spaces for 40K stamps) and Citation (65K stamps) cost $9 and $18, respectively, in 1960. In today's dollars, that's $78 and $157! Affordable by young collectors? Not a chance. Those were albums I never could have afforded.

Harris' best album was the 2-volume Standard (80K stamps). It cost $22. That's $192 in today's money. I dont' know if it's still sold. If it is, it's not going to be cheap.

There weren't any collectors I knew, except a few adults, who would have spent that much on a stamp album. I'd say for most collectors, it's the same today.

I started collecting in a $3 or $4 Grossman "Majestic" album that was ridiculously small and very limited in coverage. So I asked for a Grossman "Regent" album for Christmas one year. It was much bigger and had far more coverage, in fact way more than I could fill. It cost about the same as the larger Harris albums, around $20 (that would be $175 today). These are not prices most ordinary young people could have afforded.

More upscale and much better albums were the Minkus Global or the Scott International. Today, the International album will cost you $500 just for the pages up to 1840, plus nother $200 for the binders. So about $700. If you also collect modern stamps, start adding at least $150-500 per decade for those pages. Prices for the Minkus Global are pretty similar. Back in 1960, that same International album cost three times what the top-of-the-line H.E. Harris album cost, around $60.

So, stamp collecting did entail spending a lot of money for a decent album. And it still does today.

You can collect in blank albums, but most collectors don't. Most prefer filling spaces in pre-printed albums. And have you priced good quality blank album pages and binders lately? For modest blank stamp albums, you'll spend about $20-50 for quality album paper plus $30-50 for a decent stamp album binder. That's $50 per volume. If you're content with office store paper and a cheap three-ring binder, maybe $20-25 is enough for one volume. For a world collection, though, you're going to need a lot of volumes! Is five enough? Is ten? And you're going to have fairly cheap looking albums that I would not have wanted even as a kid. Most collectors like putting stamps in spaces, which is why they buy pre-printed albums, and those are not cheap.

I've purposely left out all the highest quality, really expensive albums from Davo, SG, Lighthouse, Schaubek and others since few beginning collectors and most adult collectors can't possibly afford those. Albums covering one country alone by Davo or Lighthouse will set you back $1000 or even $2000 or more. I've only priced mainstream albums, the type collectors used to be able to buy in a stamp store 60 years ago -- or online today.

So the truth is stamp albums are not cheap at all. This is the appeal of Steiner's pages and other print-your-own pages. But even those cost money, at least $50 for Steiner's CD. Plus paper ($12 for 200 sheets of 60# weight) plus a decent binder. But if you collect the world, you would need 30, 40, 50 or more binders -- plus all that paper. Good luck with the expense of all that! You might as well buy a really good pre-printed album.

Edited by DrewM - 06/15/2020 04:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4875 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have I priced albums recently? Yes.

Binder @ 25.50

https://www.dauwalders.co.uk/wessex...101792-p.asp

1000 leaves @ 105

https://www.dauwalders.co.uk/wessex...101792-p.asp

As kids in the mid-'60s, when we discovered loose-leaf albums, we used a generic, cloth-bound springback binder and graph paper. Probably better quality than you'd get today from your ring-binder and computer-generated pages on standard printer paper.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
135 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And if you're happy with second hand there are definitely bargains to be had out there. I recently bought several old (but in very nice condition) Stanley Gibbons albums each with quite a lot - each one had 50+ - of unused quadrille pages with interleaving. They were bundled in five or sixes and worked out at about 5 each including the postage.

Or if pre-printed albums is what you're after there are a lot around at far less than the new price, often in lovely condition. I actually like getting an album with a few stamps in and feeling that I'm carrying on somebody's work. I often feel quite uncomfortable stripping stamps off a page that somebody has lovingly collected the stamps for and designed the layout and even written out interesting annotations

But our family has always bought things second hand, we've always liked antique shops and junk shops, car boot sales and charity shops! I realise that's not everybody's thing
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
380 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I started collecting (only a few years ago), I read somewhere that most Europeans preferred stock books to printed albums, so that's the route I took, and have been quite happy with the results. Yes, as a world-wide collector I do need many stockbooks (currently around 60). But that's no problem, because my credit card (which is quite an ordinary one) gives "rewards points" for use, and these are used for purchases online (e.g., at Amazon). Thus, every few months I get a new Lighthouse or Stanley Gibbons, 60-64 page stockbook free. I like the look and feel, and my "album cost" is zero.
Edited by EMaxim - 06/21/2020 11:41 am
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting around 1972. Like most kids, I purchased Harris Albums. Liberty and Canada and Provinces. Bought supplements every year for both up till about 1980 when I joined the Navy. Picked up collecting again for a couple years, bought many supplements to get albums current again. Stopped collecting in the early 90's and picked it back up about 5 years ago. Cost to update my albums was not worth the $$$ to do it. Looked at just buying new albums and re-mounting everything. Have way too much for that. Besides, I've gotten somewhat lazy in my later years, lol.

So I got a subscription to Bill's site, downloaded and printed what I needed and made up albums to cover the gap from my old Harris Albums to present.

Do the pages look fancy like pre-printed albums? No, not really. Do they do the trick? For me? Yes. Do I like how my albums have turned out? Yup. And in the end, I am very satisfied with them and that's all that matters with me. After all, it's the stamps that count. They are what has some value. If someone purchases your collection, they are way more interested in what you have as opposed to what the pages look like - just my opinion.

Bill's pages do the trick for me just fine. I've created a lot of multimedia and graphics content over the years and simply cannot imaging the amount of time and energy that he's put into making these pages. Well worth what he asks for a year's subscription - again, just my opinion. And by all means, I will renew it again.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4710 Posts
Posted 06/27/2020   6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OLDMANRIVER ---I am in your corner here, Steiner pages are the way to go .The cost and the smaller size fits on a bookcase better than those 30 lbs binders which now cost hundreds of dollars per country .
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add soccerfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DrewM, $100 is becoming the norm for most hobbies or activities today. For stamp albums, you could easily spend $100 on Steiner pages (printing and binders) or ready printed albums. Most young people could be encouraged with a relative, older friend, or other mentor (stamp club at school). That $100 is also competing with a student's other interests: sports (equipment, travel), technology (phones, tablets, laptops), music (instruments, travel) or other hobbies (sports cards, coins, etc).
Valued Member
Learn More...
214 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely love Steiner pages. After dropping roughly $600 on Israel 1/2/3 Davo Luxe albums; I decided they were worth a shot. Fell in love with them. Yes, they are simple, but I don't care about the aesthetics of the pages, my personal opinion is that the stamps are what I'm collecting, not the albums. A really nice "pro" is that if you can simply re-print a page and re-mount anything you want if a page is damaged, worn or whatever. Sure it is possible to get a single page for any of the numerous albums out there, but a lot easier to just re-print that page at home.

Being able to just download what I want has led to collections of French West Africa, French Guinea, Belgian Congo, Lundy, Japan, Early Philippines and Jamaica. Would never have done that if I'd had to buy expensive albums for each of those.

Everyone's way of organizing and displaying their stamps is different and no way is right or wrong, but I'll use them until I stop collecting stamps, which will probably be the day I either run out of money or die. Hopefully neither is in the near future!
Edited by Andyrich74 - 06/29/2020 6:51 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,555Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05