Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wall Street Journal Article On Stamp Collecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 276Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
647 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3532 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That link comes up as a pay-to-play site. Sorry, but I can't read it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
647 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   10:06 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Must have something to do with cookies? When the link was emailed to me, I got in without any difficulty. Now it won't let me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6829 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can not get in either

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
647 Posts
Posted 06/05/2020   10:31 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was just able to get in again. My C&P only brings up the text (not that there were many illustrations) so FWIW, here t'is:

"STAMP CHAMP Online outlets such as Hipstamp and Mystic sell stamps from just about every country.
Photo: Getty Images
By Andrew Nelson
June 5, 2020 8:00 am ET

Print

Text

GORGING ON HBO in Washington, D.C., while waiting for the city to unlock itself, my eye wandered from TV to the media cabinet shelf where my long-forgotten stamp albums sat. An inveterate traveler now marooned by pestilence, I began leafing through them, every postmark a childhood touchstone: The Belgian king, dyed an unflattering rose, that I had nicknamed "pink head." The Czech hockey team that seemed sad to be trapped behind their Iron Curtain. The tiny Laotian mahout atop his enormous elephant sparked dreams of jungle journeys across Southeast Asia. Each stamp was a ticket to a destination I would, and did, later visit.
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Have you dusted off a forgotten stamp collection? What have you discovered? Join the conversation below.
After an absorbing afternoon, I wondered if a revival is due for this fusty pastime where history, graphic design and exotic landscapes commingle on a bit of sticky perforated paper.
Scott English, executive director of the nonprofit American Philatelic Society (APS) that serves as a resource for stamp collecting and collectors, says online search results listing the APS have roughly doubled to 1.2 million since March. Gerard McCulloch, whose blog Punk Philatelist explores stamps and pop culture, has observed more millennials and women taking up the hobby in the pandemic. Both men think stamp collecting's nondigital nature is compelling. "It's a very analog way to spend your day," said Mr. English.
'Sometimes you need the Zen of admiring a tiny piece of artwork.'
In the 1970s, my father, a Detroit hospital administrator, brought home airmail envelopes provided by his international medical staff. Captivated by these foreign stamps, I bought more from a local store. My budding hobby schooled me in geography and political iconography. Spanish dictator Francisco Franco's bald pate resembled that of Reddy Kilowatt, a goofy cartoon character with a lightbulb for a head who promoted electric utilities. Queen Elizabeth II's postal profile came in both the young (Claire Foy) and middle-age (Olivia Colman) versions while the Queen Mother and husband King George VI popped up on postage of now extinct British colonies like Nyasaland. My favorites, however, were lavish and colorful commemoratives: hyenas (Mauritania), Olympic athletes (Poland) or the famed 1934 series on America's national parks rendered in carnelian, violet and indigo. Revisiting them now temporarily banished the harsh realities outside. "Sometimes you need the Zen of admiring a tiny piece of artwork," said Mr. McCulloch. True enough. When you're housebound, philately will get you everywhere.

CORNER THE MARKET / A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO BUYING AND SELLING STAMPS

Silver Jubilee stamps, issued in 1977, to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's reign.
Photo: Getty Images
How to start: Many collectors zero in on themes. Examples of "topicals," as such singular collections are called, include birds, butterflies, the Beatles and BeyoncÚ. Others focus on specific nations or time periods. Preprinted albums with images of stamps to seek out are available through online dealers, but individual pages arranged by state, topic or year can be downloaded free on the APS website. The American Topical Association offers free children's pages organized by topic. You'll need: stamp mounts, tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Where to buy: With hobby and stamp stores closed for now, online outlets like eBay, hipstamp.com and mysticstamp.com offer a variety of stamps, usually collected together as a series or organized by region, nation or theme. Mystic, founded in 1923, sells grab bags of postage. You could order 10,000 stamps postmarked everywhere from Argentina to Zambia for $250, though 1,000 for $16 is far more manageable for beginners.
How to sell: "Most collections aren't worth a lot," said Mr. English. He advises consulting the Scott Stamp Catalogue to price individual issues (scottonline.com). Assume you'll sell to a dealer for about 10% to 15% of the listed value. You can also donate. The APS accepts some collections; if they can't take yours, they will advise you on where to donate them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 276Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05