Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Linn's Stamp News Digital Edition - Issue With Downloading PDF

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 501Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
353 Posts
Posted 06/06/2020   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mml1942 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone else had a difficulty in accessing and downloading the PDF version of the June 15, 2020 edition of Linn's from last week? On my computer, it loads the first page and then simply hangs.

Until this June 15 issue, I had no difficulty with opening the PDF version and reading it that way, rather than their annoying "page flip" version.

I had no problem with a download of the PDF for the new June 22 issue today, or with those issues prior to June 15.

An inquiry to Linn's earlier this week has gone unanswered;no doubt they are overly busy. I wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the problem before I inquired again.

If any reader has a digital subscription, would you please try a PDF download from your computer and report your results. If a universal problem, then I can ask Linn's to look into it. If it's me, then I guess I'm stuck.

For me, the problem persists on three different computers.

Thanks,
Mike

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by mml1942 - 06/06/2020 11:45 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
902 Posts
Posted 06/06/2020   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike,

I have a digital subscription. I just downloaded the June 15, 2020 issue just fine.

If you need a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
Posted 06/06/2020   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,
Thank you. email sent.

The Linn's issue may be too large for emails. I've suggested an alternative.

Mike
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
Posted 06/06/2020   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Problem solved!!

My problem was the Chrome browser, although I have no idea why.

Switched over temporarily to Firefox and everything downloaded fine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1759 Posts
Posted 06/06/2020   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine downloaded OK
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any reason why older issues can't be downloaded? Specifically anything prior to Jan 2020.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my understanding of what has occurred.

For much of the time in 2019, Amos Publications had a promotion that made the Linn's digital edition and back issue archive available to all readers without a subscription, and most back issues were available for download as a PDF file.

When Amos Publications ended that free promotional period in December 2019, and required a subscription to access the digital editions, they made some other changes in the archive, and for several weeks in December and perhaps early January, no issues could be downloaded as a PDF file. The reader could only use the "page-flip" mode.

This was revised a few weeks later, but only for those few issues in December (my recollection is that it was the final three issues of 2019). Since that time, each new issue has been available for download as a PDF file for subscribers.

I hope they continue this policy, and it would be great if they could at least made the back issue archive available for download to subscribers. There is a wealth of information in these issues for the general collector that should not be lost, and while some of the previous articles are available directly on the website, some are abridged, and it is often difficult to locate a specific article.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2776 Posts
Posted 06/11/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know on your phone you use the new app for new issues and the older ones can be viewed with the older app.
Al
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had no problems with downloading the PDF's. I'm using Chrome on a Windows 10 machine. No problems. I have every issue from 2018 through current as a PDF. Except for those few in November (18th, 25th) and December (2nd, 9th) 2019 that were not available as PDF downloads. Back in the 70's through 90's when all you had was the print edition, it was really thick. Used to clip useful articles out of them and put in a files for reference. Still have them.

By the way, I recently asked Linns about search capabilities in the Archive. Wanted to see if you could search the entire archive for any articles on say, Small Queens of Canada or whatever else you wanted to search for. They emailed me back within a day or so with an answer (I've always gotten prompt replies from Linns). No way to search the entire archive. So you'd basically just have to open an issue and then search that issue. Then go to the next issue or whatever and search again. I have been able to pull articles out of issues and save them as a PDF. But you'd need to have Acrobat full version to do that (which I do).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
353 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I assume your example was intended to be hypothetical, here is an answer....

The only article in a regular column about the Canada "Small Queens" stamp issue appeared in the Sept 12, 2016 issue, in the COLLECTING CANADA column, by Fred Baumann

"Small Queens sale showcased many usages of a 1c Canadian stamp"

There have been very few stories on Canada stamps (other than new issues) since the end of 2016.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was hypothetical. It was the first thing I could think of to use as a hypothetical example. I could have used about anything as an example. Appreciate your information. And yes, very few articles on Canada in Linn's from what I seen over the years.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oldmanriver, I ask you to go to 2019 April 15 monthly issue and try to download it. You will see the download icon is no longer there. Perhaps you were downloading them as they were current. I wanted to save the monthlies but the oldest I can save is the Dec 16, 2019 issue. It's quite frustrating. It looks like anything older is not downloadable.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldmanriver to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BwanaBob. I have that issue and yes, I was downloading them as they came out. I'm missing the issues from 18th November 2019, 25th November 2019, 2nd December 2019 and 9th December 2019. Otherwise, I have all of 2019. I also have most of 2018 as well (19 February 2018 - 03 September 2018 inclusive). Would be nice if one could download PDF's of older issues from the archive. If you have a paid subscription, I would think they'd make those available as downloads too.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05