Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Creating Want Lists To Share With A Dealer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 366Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
378 Posts
Posted 06/09/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rismoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've noticed that many dealers say that they take want lists. I wonder how effective they are at delivering on specific goods, and does that mean you compromise on getting a deal? What about turn around times. I know the answer is always it depends, but I am wondering about anecdotal experience on this.

Say I need 30 stamps. They are not common, and don't show up on eBay, hipstamp, dealer's sites. They may have appeared a couple of times at auction in the last 20 years at most.

I'm interested to know how people draw stamps out of from the underworld, that aren't especially expensive, say $200-$2500 but just can't be found.

Does it mean you have to spend way more than that on other material in the hopes the dealer will start to "work with you" for other stuff?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 06/09/2020   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rismoney: these days, with specialty collections now occupying my time rather than the former world-wide collection, most of my dealings are with dealers, or the APS Stampstore. I check eBay occasionally, but find it hard to navigate for what I'm looking for. When I do find an item on eBay, more often than not, it is overpriced, damaged, or both. So, I don't buy on eBay. Haven't bothered with Hip or DelCampe.

My strong preference is to deal (pun not intended!) with dealers who have stock to be viewed on their websites. I do business, however, with a couple of dealers who have little, if anything, on their web sites. So, yes, I do send occasional want lists. Both of these dealers do have turnover in their stock, with new purchases. I've dealt with one for many years; both by mail as well as at shows. I recall returning only one item, and got a prompt refund.

The way to "draw stamps out from the underworld" is to simply ask, at least in my experience. Turn around times are generally OK. And I get discounts when I remember to ask for them. After all, they need to make money and I'm usually not spending a ton of money since my specialty collections already are extensive.

Regarding your suggested answer; "it depends;" I'll say this: "depends on what you collect." It seems like dealers in US material are a dime a dozen. Finding high quality dealers for Portugal & colonies, or Poland, is much harder.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
238 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had mixed results with want lists. Have sent several to what I would call larger dealers who sell a lot on EBay/Hipstamp and received pretty much no response.

Have found some specialized dealers (In my case Ecuador) and have had a pretty good experience in both quality of material, responsiveness and accuracy of their stock. That usually translates in to a higher price tag though. Personally speaking, I'm ok paying a premium for stamps that you just don't see often, or in some cases, ever.

I think most dealers will also work with you if you become a good customer, but each is an individual. I work with one on my US stuff that will mail the next day when I make a purchase knowing my check is in the mail as well, and from time to time I will ask for a discount on something and generally receive it but I also don't try to beat the dealer up on every purchase when I know the stamp is being offered at a fair price.

On the other side of that coin, I've bought stuff at full Scott where the dealer said "Find someone else with this and I'll match their price" knowing that you can't, because they know their stuff. Just have to make that call on your own whether to pony up or keep looking.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 366Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 14.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05