Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

St Louis Stamp Expo Aug 14-16

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 33 / Views: 1,752Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Learn More...
482 Posts
Posted 06/12/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw a post on another stamp forum that the St Louis Stamp Expo will be held Aug 14-16. If things have opened up by then, I may take a road trip to visit my grandson and stop in on the way to take a look. Anyone else have any thoughts on whether it makes sense for this show to proceed? Have plans to attend?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 06/12/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will be a judgement call maybe the week before for me. I have it on the calendar. I can coordinate it with a work trip I need to make but have been putting off since March.

ICU admission rates have been falling in St. Louis, but much can happen in 2 months.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1392 Posts
Posted 06/12/2020   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll pass; I am not concerned about infection, but the economic impact of the government orders on my business, the inconveniences required by the airlines, and the possibility of making such a long journey and not being admitted to the show floor combine to rule it out. As the press release noted,

Quote:
Peter said the Expo will be following local and state guidelines to ensure a safe and healthy show. There will be a limited amount of people allowed on the show room floor, and masks/face coverings will be required.

It's difficult to ask people to travel a thousand miles and then potentially wait hours to enter the show because of limits on headcount on the show floor.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
66 Posts
Posted 06/13/2020   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
APS link:

https://stamps.org/news/c/news/cat/...is-in-august

Chris,

I'll have a booth there - my first since Garfield Perry Cleveland and looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, I face 14 days strict quarantine when I return to the UK but it will be worth it.

Won't be bringing my "dollar box" of covers to help mitigate risk of infection to my customers. Everything I bring will be sleeved and I'll wear a mask, gloves & have hand sanitizer at my booth.

UK non-essential stores open on Monday and most have a pre-booked time slot system - I'll suggest to Mike that they consider something similar to help manage visitor numbers and ensure no one wastes their journey to the show.

Steve

Edited by usinbritain - 06/13/2020 08:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1929 Posts
Posted 08/08/2020   10:40 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I won't be there. It just seems like maddness to be holding this now. I couldn't enjoy being there; I'd be worried about every interaction.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4773 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go, have a good time. If you go grocery shopping you can do this.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
66 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   04:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add usinbritain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So far, only a couple of dealers have dropped out and many collectors have confirmed they'll be there.

Here's what I sent to my clients a few days ago:

Dear All,

The Saint Louis Expo Aug 14-16 has been re-approved by the hotel & local health authorities:

http://www.stlouisstampexpo.com/

I'll be there, booth 26, with social distancing: face mask, hand sanitizer, two chairs at the front of my booth with 6 feet between, and one chair inside my booth.

The only material I won't be bringing is my $2 box, just to be on the safe side, as those covers don't have their own plastic sleeves.

To keep you safe, I had a Covid-19 test on Tuesday with negative results texted to me yesterday. I'm now "sheltering in place" until my nearly empty flight to Chicago and then a rental car to St Louis avoiding a connection at O'Hare.

Hope to see you there.

Stay healthy,

Steve
Learn More...
8378 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   05:14 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a virologist but am an immunocompromised person who has managed to avoid any viral or bacterial infections over the last 6 years. Below is the strategy I have developed over the years which allowed me to evade infections in some of the most contagious environments and with daily high risk exposures. I started using a backpack years ago since I have a fair amount of 'gear' that I have to cart around with me. This allows me to not only stash my personal stuff like wallet, business cards, phone, and laptop but also holds my medical gear.

I assume that the show folks will be checking everyone's temperature at the door. With the prevalence of hand held thermometers, I also always carry my own digital thermometer with me as a double check failsafe. If any temperature reading is an outlier (high or low), request a second reading. If that is abnormal, check it with your own thermometer. These handheld thermometers get bounced off the floor frequently and are typically not calibrated (even at hospitals). Hard to believe that medical decision are being made based upon un-calibrated equipment but it is common.

I found masks helped in the sense that they helped remind me to not touch my face. They also helped in situations of very close personal contact, where someone is up in your face. And they help if someone else sneezes or coughs. But in my opinion the best infection control method is hand washing/sanitizing. At home I use 32oz spray bottles of 80% alcohol to sanitize my hands. I find this better than the commercial 'hand sanitizers' in that it dries quicker and has no residue. The spray bottle also works well as a surface sanitizer on many surfaces. I also use it to spray a number of paper towels which then go into a zip lock baggie. These go into my backpack when I go anywhere and I use them to sanitized my hands anytime I touch anything outside my house. It is especially critical to sanitized your hands anytime before eating, drinking, or touching your face. I sanitize my hands countless times per day.

I am unsure how to bring things like hand sanitizers or alcohol (both of which are highly flammable, I use hand sanitizer to start my fireplace) on a plane. Folks may need to either pre-ship these ahead of time or plan on purchasing them once they arrive at the show.

I also maintain a separate group of clothes and shoes specifically for going out in public; I remove these in my garage before entering the house. I would also recommend that anyone who attends the show to wear clothes and shoes specifically for the show floor and being in public. Remove these immediately when you return to your room. Keep these in separate and away from your other clothes/shoes until you can get them washed. I also would consider hanging them in direct sunlight for a period of time if possible (on balcony railing etc.) Shoes can be microbiological nasty things, no telling what you might have walked through or on while out in public. I take care in handling them and treat them as being contaminated at all times.

If everyone practices good hand and surface sanitization, the show should be safe. I gave up hand shaking a long time in favor of fist bumps but if someone shakes your hand immediately get out your hand sanitizer. Trying to not touch your face is extreme hard to do (on average a person touched their face close to 15 times an hour). Do not worry about offending the other person, believe it or not I often have ask medical people to sanitize their hands each week.

As an aside, I find the current 'virus awareness' interesting in that it puts everyone in the place of hundreds of thousands of us who are immunocompromised but have learned how to avoid getting ill from others. I do wonder, after the dust settles on this, whether folks will continue this 'virus awareness'. Or will many folks go back to their pre-COVID behavior of going to the shows, store, work, and school when they are ill and not concerning themselves about they may be endangering other people's lives? Planes being sanitized, grocery store wiping down the carts after every use, and people considering others by not going out in public when they are not feeling well are common sense things that should be 'in effect' at all times, not just when folks think they might be infected by COVID.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2940 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   06:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The program for the St Louis Stamp Expo arrived in yesterday's mail and contains the following notice:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4773 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   07:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Firstly, thank you to Don for that excellent description of common sense behavior. My wife is a transplant patient (10 years now) and we pretty much have always lived with practicing preventative hygiene. I could not agree more that the simplest and most affective thing that you can do is keep your hands clean by sanitizing them. That habit has stayed with me even if I am away for work for long periods of time and not near my wife and a great side affect has been that I am rarely sick from seasonal illnesses since her transplant. It also probably helps that I am not one to allow people to get "up in my grill" if at all possible.

My wife and I have lived mostly normal lives during this covid saga with her going to the beauty salon, massage therapist, grocery store, in-person medical appointments etc. as they were allowed to open by the various politicians. She is just fine. She is a strong advocate against shutting down the economy and destroying millions of lives by doing so and she has some serious skin in the game.

Get out and enjoy your lives while supporting orginizations and small business that need it badly.

PS : Don't forget that flue season is coming. The measures Don described just may keep you healthy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6944 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest that people study what happened in NYC, both before and after we shut down. Shutting down is why we are where we are now as opposed to where we were. And why so many other places are not.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6944 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   08:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's fine to do as Don suggests, and it does work. But anyone who thinks that everyone is going to follow this every day is being very naive. Everyday observation shows how many people refuse to do the basics necessary without some official sanctions. Even something as simple as just wearing a mask.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4773 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Official sanctions" Sounds sooooo Soviet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6944 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the trouble with some people. They can't seem to comprehend the concept of doing things for the greater good. Or the fact that people get elected to be in charge, and that sometimes people in charge have to issue orders involving public health and safety, and that fact has zero to do with "political systems", and everything to do with the previously mentioned "health and safety" of the general public.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4773 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6944 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   7:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 3 Replies: 33 / Views: 1,752Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05