The Ishtar Gate was the eighth gate to the inner city of Babylon. It was constructed circa 575 BCE by order of King Nebuchadnezzar II. The walls were finished in glazed bricks mostly in blue, with animals and deities in low relief at intervals, these also made up of bricks that are molded and colored differently. The German archaeologist Robert Koldewey led the excavation of the site from 1904 to 1914. After the end of the First World War in 1918, the smaller gate was reconstructed in the Pergamon Museum, Berlin, Germany.
Mosaic of animals of Ishtar gate, Pergamon Museum, Berlin, issued by East Germany on November 23, 1966. Stamps show Aurochs (extinct cattle species), lions, symbols of goddess Ishtar and Sirrush, a creature from ancient Mesopotamian mythology: