Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland #75-77 Surcharges

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 937Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TomSwift to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are some of the last Newfoundland stamps I need to complete my album but I am leery of purchasing them on eBay. The catalogue states that forgeries are around and some of the prices on eBay seem somewhat low. Is it better for me to catch these at a reputable auction or are the fakes easy to spot?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
7603 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/15/2020   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I had a feelings about that. I think I will wait until I find them at an auction site and preferably with a certificate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/16/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Wert.

You can find these from reputable auction house online and don't need a certificate except for #77 and maybe 76

I'll post some images of my best ones. I have 11 of the 74; 3 of the 75, 2 of the 76, 1 of the 76i and 1 of #77. Point being they are not rare and available

Edited by tommy - 06/16/2020 2:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/16/2020   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies for oversharing but I've been uploading tons of covers to my website so had this one handy...

#77 from 1898

Edited by tommy - 06/16/2020 2:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/16/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LMK if you want more information....got any Nfld covers to share?
Pillar Of The Community
7603 Posts
Posted 06/16/2020   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
TomSwift...Check out this web site.

Robert

http://newfoundlandcovers.org/
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/16/2020   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So it looks like it's not the position of the surcharge but the font. That makes it more difficult to spot a fake I imagine. I am seeing lots for sale on eBay but am now leery of them. I will wait until they come up at auction or if there is a good price at a dealer. These three will pretty much complete my Newfoundland collection (I cheated on the early ones and didn't worry about paper, avoiding the super expensive stamps) so hopefully I will find a nice set of all three one day.

Very interesting web pages. I am going to o snooze around them some more. Thanks everyone.

PS. I only collect mint so no covers, I'm afraid.
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's auctions like this that get me nervous. That buy-it-now price seems quite low, even with the poor centring.
www.ebay.com/itm/373085515920?ul_noapp=true
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom Swift,

My guess is that the stamp on eBay is ok, but agree not worth the risk because I don't know that seller. There are some legit auction/stamp companies who do sell on eBay and I have purchased stamps. Let the Community board know and one of us can give you take on sellers.

More importantly, if I were in your shoes (I also collect Mint stamps of NFLD but mostly complete)--that stamp has a horrible back, totally wrecked. I only buy mint with unhinged and they are out there. worth the premium in my experience.
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't really care about the gum on stamps but I ensure all my mint stamps have great centering. That's the most important factor for me. I checked some of the big dealers in Canada but they either don't have any or have some with factors I don't want so I will keep looking. No rush and they will turn up sometime. These three are my only expensive ones left to find, since the other ones I need are cheap colour variations, which I almost never see available.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dadof3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom - don't know if you ever got yourself some copies of #75-77. There was a great BNAPS (I think) publication a few years back that dealt totally with the Newfoundland surcharges. These included some of the useful telltale forgery indicators.

I have been fascinated with this issue for years, and have acquired a few blocks, including a couple with all three varieties. If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll attach one - I know they are genuine...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dadof3,

Yes I do have several of them, and also on covers.

If you scroll up in this post, you will see some of my babies. Though I only uploaded the 77 on a cover, I do have the others on cover if anyone wants to see them, shout.
Pillar Of The Community
7603 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
post more Tommy..

Robert
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have 75 and 76. Since I want good centering, 77 is much harder to find as most of the copies have horrible centering. I have only found one so far but the price is much higher than what I currently want to spend.
Edited by TomSwift - 06/08/2021 6:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1142 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tom, check out R. Maresch & Son auctions on SAN, closing tomorrow. Lot 593- 75,76,77 all in a block of 6. There is also a 77 proof, as well as a forgery.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 937Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05