Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland #75-77 Surcharges

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 955Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ooh, I knew they had an active auction but neglected to check it out. Will do that now. Thanks.

I need this last stamp and I will have every Newfoundland stamp. (I am cheating somewhat by ignoring the expensive paper variations and some obscure colour variations.) I finished up my Canadian collection of VF mint (I don't care about gum) by using proofs for the expensive ones and am working away on the provinces. Some of those British Columbia stamps are getting expensive though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just checked. The links were highlighted so I must have looked at them before. I saw the #77 but I want better centring. I have discovered that this stamp is very hard to find VF.

City Stamp Montreal has a beautiful one but they want $3800 USD for it. Since I don't care about gum, I am still looking for a much cheaper one (City Stamp is XF/NH).
Edited by TomSwift - 06/08/2021 10:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1143 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
British Colombia, one province I will never be able to complete. Mint or used. Have one or two used as they came in collections.

To have every Newfoundland stamp without all the varieties would still be a huge accomplishment. Something to be proud of, to be able to say you own a set of Newfoundlands basic stamps.That is a large task, especially if airmails are included. I have a 75,76 and 77 all used without faults, but centering is not perfect. What my budget allows! Good luck finding that one. Reminds me of a song- " One is the lonliest number that you will ever know!"

Mike
Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's good being single.
Should have mentioned that I don't have the super expensive airmails either. Just put in the non-overprinted varieties in my album.
My problem is I am a completionist. I finished off my Davo Canada album a few years back (I posted pictures here) and am also working on a Davo used Canada album (only to 1970 though). That album I won't go for proofs so there will be some holes in it for a while.
I only collect VF mint (and now used) and don't care about the gum so the price is not horrifying for most stamps. I dread to calculate how much I spent over the years though.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1143 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your not alone. But you have to console yourself with the pleasure of knowing that you are achiving something not everyone can do. You derived hours of relaxation, excitement of winning items at auction, learned many new things, and probably made several new acquantiances along the way.

I did see your Canadian collection that you displayed, and I think it was just marvelous. And by using proofs rather than having blank spots is a great way to go. A really nice proof printing with a wonderful clear image and yet not expensive enough to go broke. I also have gone somewhat along that same route, using some proofs, specimens, and have some used in several places.

Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thing that still drives me crazy is that I have never seen my complete collection. I live in China and all of my stamps are in Canada. I have my winning lots sent to my Mom's place in Canada and since I have not been able to travel back since 2019, it looks like I won't see them until 2022. And that is just my newest purchases. Everything is in storage. When I ever move back to Canada, I will finally be able to look at them.
The proofs do look much nicer. Nice and shiny.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dadof3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No1Philatelist: Good to meet another stamp collector with Newfie interest. It's all I collect. Just found this discussion board, so I'm trying to find my way around.

As for your 75-77, it's not surprising that your copies are not well-centered. When the surcharges were required, the stock they used consisted largely of sheets of #60 that were put aside due to poor centering, so well-centered ones are scarce. I have several of these - kind of interesting that they seem to be much more unified in color than the range found in #60...at least mine are...
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1143 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dadof3, see you just joined a couple of days ago. Welcome to the forum. Great place to learn and get advice from other collectors, dealers and knowledgable persons.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dadof3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I've been looking around when I get a few minutes.

Here's a block of the 75-77 positions 37-40 and 47-50. If you look closely, it's the fonts that make the difference. Configuration:

75-75-75-75
76-76-77-77

This block makes it pretty clear...

Valued Member
China
283 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TomSwift to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have 75 and 76 that are well-centered and I know that if I get a 77 that is not, it will bother me so I will be patient. Doesn't have to be perfect centering, just pleasing to the eye.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 955Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05