Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Album Page Of Early British Stamps, What Are The Impressions On Quality Or Value?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 702Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Germany
160 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LordInVader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all stamp masters,

my father recently got another deal where he purchased a large box filled with albums and tens of thousands of stamps for just $100.

This page caught my eye.

What is your impression on what you see here?

Thanks!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4943 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Worth the $100! Also worth pulling out the page and giving us some good scans.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Germany
160 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more pages:

Cape of Good Hope:

Ceylon:

Hong Kong:

Ceylon 2 Shillings:
Valued Member
Germany
160 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are MANY MANY more.

Also thousands of Mint sheets of US Postage 1940s-1960s.

As far as scans are concerned:
Unfortunately he has no time to do it.
I would do it, but Im in Europe now.
Maybe when I visit him again I will try and scan up the more valuable pieces.

The lot was purchased from a guy who probably inherited it and had no clue about stamps and just wanted to get rid of them...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5964 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite the buy. Looks like a very nice haul.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2825 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This lot is also a good lesson to current owners of such material to be sure your heirs have some idea of what you have, what it is worth and who they should contact on your demise. The original collector did not get the proper value back for their collecting. How many of us would want our heirs to get only $100 for a box of the cream of our collection?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
378 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But the collector earned thousands of enjoyed hours...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my short time on this planet, I have witnessed those whom appear smug, by taking advantage of others ignorance.
It is not a good look.
We must always be alert to excessive greed and avarice.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
425 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tell your dad I'll give him $120 for the lot.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3534 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   11:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I'd like to see a scan of the block of four on the very first page, top. There are lots of interesting items just on the first two rows. Congrats!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5964 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you find any of the GB Queen Vic stamps with the check letters RC and you want to part with them, let me know :)
Valued Member
Germany
160 Posts
Posted 06/19/2020   06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer,

the corner lettering intrigues me.
Do you have any resources specifically for these early Victoria pennies and their corner lettering?

Will check them for sure and give an update.
I will probably visit in July, if Corona does not flare up again and Air travel is restricted.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
Posted 06/19/2020   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No need for special references just for corner lettering. The letters show the position of the stamp on the sheet. AA is the upper leftmost stamp, AL is the upper right, TA is bottom left, TL is bottom right. There are a few exceptions, the half penny bantam uses half the area of a one penny and those letters go from AA to TX. Some of the later surface printed issue were broken down into smaller panes from the full sheet and have wider margins that used up a check letter where the panes were separated.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4943 Posts
Posted 06/19/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The corner letters are also the means of determining the plates from which the earlier line-engraved issues were printed.
Valued Member
Germany
160 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Explanation!
Valued Member
Germany
160 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LordInVader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I had my dad take pictures close up of the Penny Blacks and the block of 4 Penny reds.

Sorry its not a scan, its the best he could do.
But if you notice anything worth mentioning about these Id love to hear it!

Here you are:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 702Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05