Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Do If Facing This Situation?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 4,992Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
11252 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   1:10 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question:
Context
You receive a phone call from an unknown person asking if you would be interested in buying a stamp collection. You make arrangements to meet them the next day and view the material. Upon arrival they tell you that they want $200 for the collection which is a single album. When you view the album you quickly determine that it has a market value more than $3000.
Do you...

Choices:
Pay them the $200 and head home with your purchase
Tell the owner that the value is much higher and negotiate a new price

(Anonymous Vote)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8245 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being on just SS I can really not afford the 200 any more !

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My first assumption would be that it is stolen and I would ask a few pointed questions to find out if the seller was the owner.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, Germania. Same here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
597 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If something seems too good to be true, it probably isn't legit.

As an ex-cop, my radar is starting to generate warnings. I would want to know which of my acquaintances suggested he contact me, and I would confirm that with them before proceeding any further. If he can't tell me, or it doesn't check out, I'd decline the opportunity to buy.
Edited by uboatnut - 06/17/2020 2:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I might take a more proactive stance. Surreptitiously snap a photo of the seller, part with the $200, then go to the authorities to begin a search for the true owner. This assumes, of course, that I can afford the $200 hit.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
655 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to remember not to offer anyone in this chat room a good deal on a stamp collection or my picture will end up on a wanted poster on a post office wall somewhere.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6314 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I am not a expert in everything philatelic and have been fooled on other purchases ......I pay them $200.00 for those items I know,the $200.00 is for those items I want which are in that album .

It happens all the time ,if you tell me these stamp buyers are honest people your dreaming or have no experience in the real world .

Then you also need the "FLOORTRADER C-Y-A-P" method ,just in case it comes back at a later date . Remove the valueable items and even added some of your junk to it and sell it for $300.00 .

C-Y-A-P stands for" cover your ask plan"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1175 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Don't know = don't go. If I don't know the person and there is not a known referral, I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole.

2. If you did go. I would ask why he was asking that price and take it from there. The more questions you ask the surer you'll be in where the seller just needs $$$ or the material is "hot" and you need to walk-away.
Edited by Hal - 06/17/2020 5:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6314 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No sense going to the authorities $3,000 thief is of no interest to them . They don't want to get invouled in your opinions of what you think is a crime .Please fill out the form and they will file it away .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2772 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No sense going to the authorities $3,000 thief is of no interest to them . They don't want to get invouled in your opinions of what you think is a crime .Please fill out the form and they will file it away .

In New York State that's Grand Larceny. So even if this person just swiped the stamp album they've committed a felony.

If there's been a string of burglaries well this could be a bigger deal, and should have already been reported.

Are someone scored at a garage sale and they want to flip it quick.

I forgot to answer the original question. I would call the police and ask if there's been any burglaries or robberies that included stamp albums.
Edited by stampcrow - 06/17/2020 9:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1377 Posts
Posted 06/17/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I view and buy collections a fair amount and most turn out to be childrens or beginners collections. I want to meet owners at their residence for security. A few have been much better but the owners were also knowledgeable and knew the collecting terminology and knew their material, where it came from, and value. Especially higher value quality items. If they have any receipts for purchases it also helped. If I had any suspicions or indication of anything odd I put it off to check things out further before I did anything.

One or two sellers had no knowledge of the basics and were almost desperate to dump it. Rang too many alert bells. That is sure signs to walk away with any excuse you can use. I just don't want to spend my cash buying stolen property as you could be left holding the bag. No matter how many years pass. In turn I hope orhers would do the same if my material was stolen.

Edit: this poll needs a third option- do not buy as it may be stolen.
Edited by No1philatelist - 06/17/2020 11:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1074 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I voted the way I did because I ASSUME it would be hot. If I got the feeling that it was truly due to ignorance, and not felonious, I would probably try to renegotiate. If I couldn't get a strong feel for the story-behind-the-story (and that's probably close to 90% of the time), I would assume it was hot. I would document all I could about the seller and keep my ear to the ground about a stolen collection over the next few weeks/months.
Pillar Of The Community
3679 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have pointed out to dealers some unlisted varieties that I know of before making a purchase from them.
Their responses have mostly been that if it's not listed in the catalog, they don't care since the catalog is their authority.
Also, they have responded by saying that since they bought it as a regular stamp, they are selling it as such since they did not have to pay extra for it so that they are not charging any extra for it as well.
Edited by jogil - 06/18/2020 4:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
4745 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don (and others):

I would try to do the right thing. If I got the "stolen" vibe then I'd report it. Otherwise, I'd negotiate a better price for the seller.

UNLESS, the album had a mint set of 1869 Pictorials, then I'd pay the $200 and run...

Or Canada's Jubilee set...

Or... uh oh...

Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I am not a stamp dealer I interpreted the context of "You receive a phone call from an unknown person " to mean a mutual acquaintance had referred them to me because that acquaintance knew I collected stamps and might be interested. I would anticipate that the caller would begin with "(The mutual acquaintance) suggested I call you", otherwise I would inquire as to how they found me. I had not thought of the possibility of the material being stolen and was rather surprised that several here would hold that as a first assumption.

Of course there can be a lot of nuance involved (how did they find me, their general demeanor, their knowledge of stamp collecting, do they seem too anxious to unload it in a hurry, etc.). Yet, I assume that most inquiries stamp dealers receive about purchasing a collection are from people they don't know. Do dealers automatically assume the material might be stolen goods?

In the past few months I've purchased several collections off eBay (partly in a quest for Citation binders) but I've never spent more than $60.00 (my highest bids were in the $90's) plus shipping, so $200 might be a bit rich for my blood. I might be curious to take a look though, and in any event I would invite them to visit the local stamp club (when we can meet again) and suggest dealers they should consult.

As I was looking through their album, if I happened to notice a Scott US 292 (Cattle in Storm) or a Scott US Q10 (Dairying) I've worked in the cattle industry for many years so these are of serious topical interest I'm human, I know I might feel temptation I would tell them that they have some high value material and would refer them to a reputable dealer.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 47 / Views: 4,992Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05