Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why We Do What We Do - How Will You Complete The Following Sentences?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,654Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hoosierboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I first started collecting in [year].

I started because _________________ .

Currently collecting gives me _________________ .

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting in 1956. A Cincinnati, Ohio kids television program did weekly segments on collecting U.S. stamps mounting those related to your topic of interest on a page to display on your wall. My grandfather was a rural mail carrier. Later, in about 1961 or 1962, my grandmother gave me a post card postmarked at her father's general store post office. I still collect today, mostly postal history, enjoying learning new things. The quest continues.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6960 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also started collecting in 1956, by looking over my brother's shoulder. Collecting continues to give me new thrills, and stamps also give me an income; it's a perfect job.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2688 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started collecting in 2000.
I started because I thought I found a $300,000.00 stamp at a garage sale. Didn't know what a 'grill' was at the time.
I currently collect so I might put together a decent book of Three Cent 1851-57's for my Grandson.
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   10:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started in 1976 because my father was a collector and gave me an album.

I currently enjoy tying stamps to the history of when and where they were used.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1048 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting stamps in 1957 and bought my first Scott Specialized U.S. Album with the money I got for my 7th birthday in 1958.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1502 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
about 1974

my Dad collected

plenty of interesting paths to investigate
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
495 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ca 1967

My father worked with a gentleman that collected stamps. He sent me a cigar box and said I could keep any duplicates that I could find.

I enjoy the little pieces of paper. The art, postmarks, filling spaces, researching the history, learning about others, and it is relaxing most of the time.
Valued Member
Ireland
237 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I first started circa 1961.
I started in part because it was a rite of passage for 9 yr old (mostly boys) and some stayed with it.
I considered myself an adult in 1970 and started collecting Ireland.
WHY?
Well I think a one-country stamp album is like a Greatest Hits album...History, Music, Literature, Fauna, Flora, Sport and the rest. So its very pargmatic and acceptable for of Ptriotism. Not only have I learned about the "400th Anniversary of......THIS" and the "Bicentenary of....THAT"....its a chronicle of how a Nation which is only 30 plus years older than I am has evolved.
I am a Historian (retired) but theres an aspect of Conservation that still thrills me.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5051 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thirty years? You're forgetting Brian Boru.

I've just finished putting my Irish stamps in some sort of order, covering the period from the Free State to the (rather symbolic) declaration of the Republic in 1949. I've also set aside some later ones for a sort of "Republican figures" collection, although my selection is a bit on the thin side.

I started around 1959-60 when my old man brought home a paper-backed album and a packet of stamps from Woolies. I sat on his knee while we put in the stamps (I had the fun of licking the ines with gum).
Valued Member
Learn More...
482 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started collecting at the age of 10 in 1963 by following my brother's lead. Left it off about 8 years later as college, girls, work, life intervened and then started up again about ten years ago with kids grown, work winding down and disposable income became available. I collect now for pleasure, knowledge, admiration of the beauty of many stamps and peacefulness. Always learning something new either about philately itself or else from the subjects portrayed on stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting in 1973, at the age of seven.

My initial impetus was the U.S. "Stamp Collecting" stamp (Scott #1474), but I'd have to say that I started collecting because (1) I've had an interest in history for longer than I can remember, and (2) I have the collecting gene, though I wasn't aware of it at the time. The fact that I stuck with stamp collecting is undoubtedly due largely to my uncle, a Serious Collector who mentored me, bought me my first album, took me to stamp shows, and gave me lots of stamps that I wouldn't have been able to afford.

Currently collecting gives me a way to satisfy the demands of the aforementioned collecting gene, as well as a distraction from various annoyances in my life.
Edited by erilaz - 06/21/2020 5:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I first started collecting in 1951 or 1952 while I was watching my father working on his collection.

Currently collecting gives me...education, enjoyment and relaxation; it's far more entertaining than television!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1394 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started collecting: at age 10 1/2 in 1960.

Started: because my father introduced me to the hobby.

Currently collecting gives me: great pleasure after downsizing from the rat race of maintaining a world wide collection.Have much more focus now on my several special areas.
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting in 1974.

I started because I spent a week with my grandparents while recovering from abdominal surgery and my grandmother bought a couple of paper stamp albums and a grab bag of worldwide stamps on paper...we spent the week soaking stamps and mounting them in our albums using glue sticks.

Currently collecting gives me joy and relaxation through researching everything from the production processes and history/stories behind stamps, designing and printing pages, maintaining my website, mentoring other collectors, and building my collection.
Member APS #174069, PNC3 #2386, AFDCS #29532O, PSS #8418

Plate Number Coil Collectors Club (www.PNC3.org)

Coil Line (club newsletter) Editor & Webmaster

Visit my website @ www.scottsstampcollection.com
Pillar Of The Community
814 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
started because _________________ .

Because as a young boy, I saw stamps from romantic places for sale in a local store and thought they were really interesting. At the time, I didn't know anyone else who collected stamps, but it really appealed to me. That was when I was 8 years old in the mid-19505s.

Currently collecting gives me _________________ .

It gives me tremendous pleasure. I love organizing things, and I love finding out about history and people around the world. And there's an aesthetic pleasure in making albums and mounting and labeling stamps. It also gives me quiet time alone which everyone needs.
Edited by DrewM - 06/21/2020 9:44 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,654Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05