Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why We Do What We Do - How Will You Complete The Following Sentences?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,270Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1267 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BlackJag to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started in 1957 before my 11th birthday after seeing triangular Newfoundland stamps in a collector's album.

I've purchased Canadian mint directly from Canada Post since without ever stopping. It makes me feel good getting new additions as well as frustrated at times as I make my own album pages and search to fill holes because I didn't know what I was missing without ever seeing a catalogue for the first 40+ years, eg. varieties.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1942 or1943 my mother brought home a packet of stamps for me. Stamp-collecting is a wonderful way to learn about history and geography and a way to clandestinely visit all those places in the world that I'm never going to get to in person.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
299 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting stamps in 1956 or 57. I wanted to collect stamps because my older cousin collected stamps and I wanted to do everything he did. I collect because I collect everything, stamps, coins, rocks and minerals, shells, skulls and skeletons, etc. The collecting gene is in my DNA.
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

Thanks to all for sharing your stories so far but we need more chapters in this story.

Interesting fact one week in to getting replies to these three questions over 600 views but only 18 responses of which only one began collecting after 1976. I was hoping to also get responses from the younger crowd, too. Wonder what drew them into the hobby especially in the computer age.

Reasons stated seem to be personal connections at a very young age to an older serious collector mostly a relative or parent. There really may be a "collecting gene"? DNA code APS?

Please take a minute to answer these questions when you stop by.
Edited by hoosierboy - 06/29/2020 06:40 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
238 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, based on the dates I've seen, am probably the youngest collector here.

Started in 1983, probably the same age as most everyone else. Stamps were a great way to learn history, just the little snippets/descriptions in the Harris Liberty album I had were really amazing at that age. Like many, at 14 or so, girls and sports became much more en vogue so sold the album at some point.

Re-started in 2016 while waxing nostalgic for some reason and then realized it really appeals to my organizational nature, and next thing you know, a US collection turned in to Ecuador, Belgian Congo, Japan, French West Africa/Guinea and so on. To answer the question, stamp collecting gives me peace. I just enjoy the hunting down of what I'm looking for, checking perfs/watermarks/paper and so forth. Just gives me something to do that I enjoy.
Valued Member
225 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started in 1970 when I got a Whitman Voyager Album for Xmas.

I enjoy the simplicity, history, wonderful engravings, and sorting/displaying. It seems to give me calm and lets me tune out a world built to sell me things.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
137 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   04:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crispinhj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am one of the people who's looked without posting anything so here's my contribution

I first started collecting in about 1962.

I started because everybody collected something in those days. I then stopped when I went to college and life got busier and I re-started in about 2005 to provide a bit of white noise to drown out the incessant noises produced by running my own company. I bought GB kiloware and soaked 1000's of stamps and sorted the accumulation out into packets, which I found very good to do in the small hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep!

I got a bit more serious in 2010 when I came across an old album in a shop in town with stamps that were completely unfamiliar to me, the first stamps of Estonia, and then to try to organise my accumulation I bought an old New Ideal Album set from a dealer at a fair and got hooked on many foreign country's stamps.

The New Ideal goes up to 1936, but there are some countries I collect further, even to the 2000's in albums I've managed to acquire along the way, but other countries I don't bother about at all and just put in what I come across randomly. Partly that's because I couldn't afford them, but also I have half filled the albums and if I put much more in they'll disintegrate, so I don't actively go looking for their stamps.

Currently collecting gives me a lot of fun!
Valued Member
United States
334 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again to all who have shared the story of their philatelic journey. About 90 views to go to hit 1,000 which is a great number. Wish more would share their thoughts on these question. Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have probably told part of this story on other threads but will repeat some of it now. I started collecting around 1961 when my parents gave me an album and some stamps including Scott 223, the 5 cent US Grant in chocolate. That stamp intrigued me because of its age which to a 10 yr old seemed to hark back to the beginning of time. I don't think you could classify me as a collector at that point but that was the initial spark.

At the time my interest was as I recall totally US and I dreamed of one day having a copy of Scott 117–the 12 cent pictorial, my favorite US stamp. Probably when I was in my 20's or early 30's I inherited my grandfathers 1934 international junior album and other assorted stamps that included a plate block of 8 of Scott 614, the one cent hugenot issue, part of a sheet of the 1926 white plains issue and other US items but what really caught my attention was the foreign stamps, particularly central and South America . He originally was an iinsurance agent but then became a travel agent. He and my grandmother would travel to remote and exotic places ( my view of anywhere except US when I was young) to check out places, resorts, hotels etc to recommend to his clients. When in these countries he would bring back stamps. That was my initial introduction to WW, without which I might never have gravitated there. Initially I added to his collection in the old 1934 album but the spine of that was too weak and so some, but not all have been transferred to a more sturdy Scott album. It gives me a tremendous sense of happiness to realize that I am adding to what my grandparent started.

Over the ensuing decades my frame of reference as to what constitutes "old" has been modified somewhat—when you collect historical documents and dinosaur and earlier fossils, that will happen, but everything has to be viewed in perspective but the general theme of preferring classic or vintage as opposed to newer is preserved.

This hobby offers the participant so many quality of life issues that education, history, appreciation of other countries and cultures, history, language, color, engraving etc, just scratch the surface. I would be remiss if I did not emphasize the pleasure of sharing and interacting with other collectors adds to the overall experience. Stories like those that are reported here is part of the sharing that adds to the enjoyable experience. In particular I would like to mention shermae and Andyrich who are frequent contributors to this forum. We have met personally and engage in one form or another frequently. Fine people whose knowledge compliments mine and sharing is one of the joys of collecting. A collector is a collector and it doesn't have to be stamps. I am always interested in hearing of other's collecting stories and opinions. My feeling is that we can all learn from each other and all benefit from this interaction.

Be well and safe everybody and please feel free to contact me personally through the forum email if you would like to continue this conversation privately or are hesitant or shy about posting your thought publicly.
Edited by funcitypapa - 07/12/2020 10:24 am
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   10:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joe1225us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Started in 1980 ish, at age ten. Grew up in a house without a TV or movies, and stamps were great. Allowed me to see the world. Embarrassed to admit, but my first stamps were from Kenmore for 25 cents, along with approvals. Got it off a matchbox. Had (and still have) a wonderful uncle who is a serious collector, who encouraged my collecting, and here I am. Attempts to enlist my children have been less successful. Oh well
Edited by joe1225us - 07/12/2020 3:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4770 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting 1958 because the older kids in the neighborhood collected . We watch them trade stamps with each other . They give the younger kids a few stamps if they had a lot of the same duplicates .

It was the one thing growing up that was really just mine .Everything else was shared with 8 other brothers and sisters , bed,clothes and toys .

It was the joy of my life ,filled with stamps from comic book ads {100 stamps for 10 cents } and Honor-bilt packets from Woolworths .During High School went to my first stamp club meeting ----THAT WAS A MISTAKE ---- 55 years later I still hold it against all stamp collectors .

I been screwed over at a early age by stamp dealers so many times and later by stamp auction firms ,I lost count .....the first serious purchase was trying to build up my early U.S. ,that is why I don't collect U.S.

Then in 1969 ,The Almighty blessed me with the Commodity Markets ---trading Corn ,Wheat and Soybeans later Gold and Silver and now the Financial Markets ......My Dad was making $129.00 a week and my friends had jobs making $88.00 to $100.00 a week .....and I was having $300.00 to $500.00 a day .....where do you put that kind of money ...when weekends were just a few quart bottles of beer was less than $1.00 and Boone's Farm wine was a dollar a bottle . Easy ----Buy stamps .
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
14 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I first started collecting in 1967 when I was 8 years old.

I started because I had several older friends who collected and it gave us something to trade,barter, etc... I started collecting worldwide and US, Airmail and US Plate Blocks.

Currently collecting gives me something to do in my retirement other than watching TV. I stopped in my early 20's and re-started in my late 50's. I feel like a kid in a candy store with today's prices as compared to paying full scott prices back in the day. I decided to abandon worldwide and to concentrate on a good US collection. First I completed mint airmails, then mint commemoratives, and then went back to visit my classic/definitives collection. Once I'd exhausted what I could afford in that arena, I started collecting 19th century multiples which continues to keep me busy and my wallet empty to this day!

It is too bad that I didn't have time, money, or interest in keeping it going when I was younger. Today I find I cannot see, hold a stamp still (shakes), or discern colors very well, so I find stamp mounts, grills and washington/franklins very frustrating :-)

Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I first started collecting around 1983/84.

A new teacher at my elementary school was a collector and she started a stamp club. The club only lasted a few weeks but it was enough to get me started. I very quickly sent off for some approval offers from the back of magazines and comic books.

Collecting offers me a daily dose of escape from the craziness in the world. After years of accumulating stamps I have finally started getting my collection organized. As of today, I am at 6,606 stamps from 125 issuing entities.

Dale
Edited by StatesmanStamper - 07/12/2020 6:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As of today, I am at 6,606 stamps from 125 issuing entities.

Plan any celebration in 60 more stamps?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,270Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05