Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Stamp Or Stamps Which Prevent You From Completing Your Stamp Collection?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 2,271Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
3345 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jogil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Usually, for most countries there is always a specific stamp or stamps which get in the way of completing a country collection due to their scarcity and/or high price.
Is there such a stamp or stamps from a specific country which are keeping you from reaching your stamp collection completing goal?
Send note to Staff
Edited by jogil - 06/22/2020 10:00 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this topic has come up in some other threads. I recall Floor Trader recently weighing in with his saga of completing Cape Juby.

I'm in the same place with Timor. The stamps I need for completion of the Portuguese period are all cheap; several early postal tax issues and several of the 1914-1926 Ceres issue, primarily the ordinary paper ones with perf 12 x 11. I sent a want list for all those items, plus more, to my main Portuguese US dealer over the weekend just ended.

I thought I had a complete collection of Lourenco Marques, including the difficult Scott #27. But then the Scott catalog did the long overdue process of splitting out the Ceres issue by perf and paper, as they've done with almost all the colonial Ceres issues. I now need to see what I'm missing in L.M., plus the Ceres issues for most of the other colonies.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Climber Steve - 06/22/2020 10:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4911 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Prevent you from completing your stamp collection " My collection will never get close to being complete .

Valued Member
United Kingdom
264 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never will complete my collection of GB to the level of the SG concise catalogue year 2000. Thats why I use plain pages rather than preprinted. Even if Her majesty Queen elizabeth was to sell her collection I still couldnt afford it or even want to pay the prices required. I still have fun chasing stuff that every dealer assures me is common, but they don't have one in stock.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1400 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure. For GB, the QV high values; for the US, the 1c Franklin Z grill, and Scott No. 5, and others; for Mauritius, the "Post Office" issues.

Flipping this over, it has been useful to pursue a couple of countries for which I could achieve completion at a reasonable cost and in a reasonable time. I completed Ireland, for 1922-2000, and the Maldives, for 1909-1968, fairly easily. Then there are the "single album page" countries like the Ionian Islands under British occupation.
Valued Member
259 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I never will complete my collection of GB to the level of the SG concise catalogue year 2000. Thats why I use plain pages rather than preprinted. Even if Her majesty Queen elizabeth was to sell her collection I still couldnt afford it or even want to pay the prices required. I still have fun chasing stuff that every dealer assures me is common, but they don't have one in stock.

Exactly that. Some British and British stamps overprinted for use abroad have low catalogue prices but are hard to come by as many dealers will not even stock the lower priced items. Try to find one of each format and face value of the George V photogravure issue from Stanley Gibbons. They will tell you to make enquiries with other dealers.`

Quote:
I completed Ireland, for 1922-2000

Including all composite, wide, narrow, Thom, Dollard, Harrison, Somerset House overprints and type and paper/gum variations of the 1970s - 2000 definitives?
Edited by NSK - 06/22/2020 5:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1414 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader of course is right. No real collection is ever complete. So, I'll clarify my remarks in saying that I meant MAJOR SCOTT NUMBERS for Timor et al. Once the major numbers are done, there are the glories of minor numbers; many more in Mundifil than in Scott; errors, varieties, shades and cancels.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
79 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NumOnes to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The First Issue Collectors Club had a list of "toughies". Items with a catalog value under $2, but just never show up in dealer stock. Would love to have Indonesia 2L1-2, but never see it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1400 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Including all composite, wide, narrow, Thom, Dollard, Harrison, Somerset House overprints and type and paper/gum variations of the 1970s - 2000 definitives?

You omitted blocks showing all possible cylinder numbers and traffic light combinations.

All Thom, Dollard, Harrison, Somerset House overprints - Yes. Almost everything else you mention, No; I didn't feel the need. I collect to Scott, and its pages don't have spaces for all of that.

That's the rub, isn't it? You can make completion harder or easier, depending on how you define the country's issues.

It can also expose what I hate about this hobby the most - the constant sniping and one-upsmanship. You can say you completed a country to your satisfaction, according to your standard, and then someone comes back and says, "No, you really didn't."
Edited by cjpalermo1964 - 06/22/2020 6:07 pm
Valued Member
240 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been trying to fill out a Minkus Comprehensive Album for about 20 years. Slow but sure progress - I'd say I'm about >95% complete. Off the top of my head (want list) below are some that have eluded me on eBay, hipstamp, delcampe, stamps2go, APS Stampstore, National Local Shows/Bourses, etc. These aren't expensive ... I wonder if they really exist :

Scott #'s

Greece N209-N216
Yugoslavia (Istria) 30, 34, 36, 36
Libya 102-107
Montenegro 2N38-2N41
Nicaragua 525-532
Nicaragua 587-596

Handsome finder's fees to anyone that can help!!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ones I cannot find.
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a Denmark lot a few years ago and discovered to my joy when I dug out my Scott's catalogue that not only was it about 50-60% complete, but, apart from a few rarities I could get close to completing Denmark without spending a fortune. I printed out all the pages available from Steiner and have now achieved about 99.8% completion up to the year 2000 with just a few holes here and there up until the present, which are pretty easily obtainable. I have all of the "back of the book" including the scarce early perf 12 1/2 Officials and all of the postal ferry stamps (which I hope are not forgeries). At present I need only two stamps to complete the Steiner pages: the very elusive Scott 21, perf 12 1/2 2 skilling grey and blue from 1871 and 44d the 8 ore slate and carmine with the wide crown watermark from 1902-04. I have seen both of these for sale recently but unless I get a big windfall from somewhere probably won't be buying either any time soon. Having achieved this level of completion I've branched out a little and have added sections in my collection for the advertising labels that they put in booklet panes in the 1920's (they advertised things such as the various divisions of General Motors, Mohawk Tires, the Copenhagen Coal and Coke Company, department stores, magazines, etc.) postal stationery and perfins. One thing that I particularly like about collecting Denmark is that they have a very sensible stamp issuing policy, with maybe 15-30 new stamps a year, and which, with only rare exceptions are relevant to the country.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
418 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to collect US Space and Science Errors, and all minor listings. It's quite a challenge. There a a few that are really pricey, that hopefully will come to auction that I can strike.

I think there is overpricing in the retail space, that make them a bad spend (is 2-3x) last auction levels that are making them unattainable.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1513 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it's some of the elusive perforation varieties of the New South Wales DLR issues.

This area is not very popular and I'm happy chasing them down in the various purchases I make, rather than sending off a want list to a dealer or two, which for me would take all the fun out of it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
959 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My "Runes and Runestones" topical collection is nearly complete, to the best of my knowledge, but I still need a Danish prestige booklet (containing stamps that I already have, Scott #126366, US $35.00) and a micronation cinderella from Elleore.

There's still plenty of peripheral stuff, like FDCs and maximum cards, that I can add to this collection, though. Just today I bought a piece of paraphernalia that will fit into both this collection and my J.R.R. Tolkien collection: A Royal Mail publicity card for the 1992 J.R.R. Tolkien Prestige Booklet, featuring a page from the Book of Mazarbul, written in Cirth runes and Tengwar.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
978 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   2:14 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My US collection has a number of holes that will likely never be filled due to the prices being well above my budget. So I'd look to particular sets that are hard to complete. For some reason I just can't find a decently centered OG 146 or 150 to complete my 1870 ungrilled banknotes. I recently, after many years finally finished the grilled set where I was not looking for mint and was willing to accept a fault or two to get it done. #140 was the last one and I finally picked an attractive one up to finish it and just got it in the mail this week. I'm sure the 146 and 150 will get done eventually but patience is still required.
Edited by rlsny - 06/23/2020 5:18 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 2,271Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05