Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Stamp Or Stamps Which Prevent You From Completing Your Stamp Collection?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 2,018Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australia has some different varieties, but to fill in the major ones, I just need Kangaroos, Scott 43 (2sh, 2nd watermark), 100 (5sh, small multiple watermark), 101 (10sh, small multiple watermark). I also need Scott 132, the 5sh Sydney Harbor Bridge. Those would complete me through 1940, and I would be very happy. These are a bit pricey, but the page is looking empty without them. I'll keep searching ...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TNJed to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Graf Zeppelins are keeping me from completing my US Airmails.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is completion?

There was a post on page one of this thread about one-upsmanship, etc.

Clearly, "completion" needs to come with an explanation like "Complete for the major Scott numbers", "Complete Big Blue pages for a certain country", "Liberty series including all paper/tagging/dry varieties", etc.

Take the last post for an example to build on:

Quote:
The Graf Zeppelins are keeping me from completing my US Airmails.

TNJed, what does completion mean for you? Is "completion" the basic 150 major Scott numbers? Or does it expand another 30-35 stamps to include the minor and very collectible listings of paper orientation, tagging, booklets, wet/dry, small-hole coils, comb/line perfs, etc?

As a disclaimer, I don't have the zeppelins either! This is my place-holder, a Philatelic Agency receipt for ordering 3 sets for a total of $13.65, which may be harder to find the the actual stamps:

Edited by John Becker - 06/24/2020 09:46 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
378 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A complete airmail including error listings, maybe doable but extremely tough.

Example errors off the top of my head:
C60b may be a fraction of the cost of a c3a but I have never seen one for sale.
C72d went on Siegel last year after disappearing forever - I think there are only 2.
C63c unique is a rediculous listing. No way is that an imperf with a foldover perf hole crossing the imperf space. Someone must have been smoking something to give that thing a valid cert. I think that it flipped 2x 10 years ago where the owner took a 50% haircut.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think most of us would draw a distinction for completeness between regular production items and EFOs.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOTT-C13-...AOSwMWxeJQrk

If I had to do it over this is the kind of set I would have gone for. If anyone had asked I would have gone into a rave about how over priced they are.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
21 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mark1973 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
British Commonwealth revenue stamps and telegraph stamps in mint condition are very hard to find. I don't think i'll ever complete what i've started.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5967 Posts
Posted 06/25/2020   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think many of us are in the same boat. Obtaining the top values from most early seta (pre 1940) usually require a large financial transaction. Take the Falkland Islands KGV 1933 top values, the 3 will set you back a few thousand dollars.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 06/25/2020   07:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just want to see how far I can go with a worldwide collection .

I read all the stories about famous collectors and what they had ,I read all the comments about worldwide collections on the internet . Saved many stamp auction descriptions of collections for sale . Even discussed what was in some auction lots on this site .

I want someday to be able to exceed all those who collected in the past ,in all areas but one and that is value ,that means more stamps , more complete sets and more countries .

A SIMPLE GOAL .
Pillar Of The Community
1358 Posts
Posted 06/25/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My collection of US airmail stamps and covers is probably a little unusual. I have White Ace pages both for single stamps and plate blocks. I've interleaved these, with additional pages for FDCs, and in addition to plate blocks, line pairs and complete panes for stamps issued in coil and booklet format. As for stamps, the collection is complete, C1-C150, including the Zepps (but only as represented by the White Ace album pages, so it excludes all the varieties that John points out for the US airmailes). Plate blocks, line pairs, and panes are complete, C7-C150 except for C13-C15. I have FDCs for all, C1-C150, again except for the C13-C15.

I also have a collection of US airmail booklets that is complete, except for those varieties for which Scott lists the value in italics. Technically, my "FDC" for C3 is a "May 15, 1918" cover, and not the true FDC, which is another one of those items which Scott lists the value in italics.

I might still acquire FDCs for C13-C15 someday, but except for that, I consider this collection "complete." My pockets are not deep enough to think about plate blocks for C1-C6, or C13-C15, or for those varieties that are so scarce that the Scott value is italicized.

I have a large and varied collection of US aviation topical stamps and covers. One thing that I can think of that I lack is a Collins cover for the Wright Bros setenant pair C91-C92. Maybe some day?

I'd love to have a Q8 (my avatar) on cover, but those don't come up very often, and I doubt I could afford it if one did. I'd also like a cover carried on one of B-10's in Alaska for the 1934 Army "mass flight" led by Hap Arnold, but those, too, don't come up for auction very often.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
938 Posts
Posted 06/25/2020   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think i'll ever complete what i've started.

In April 2018 I started a "One Unused 19th-Century Postal Card from Everywhere" collection. I'm almost 72% of the way through Checklist A (governmental postal entities) and over 10% of the way through Checklist B (local private posts, railroads, etc., almost certainly incomplete), and there's still plenty of affordable stuff out there. But completing the collection 335 cards, to the best of my current knowledge will require patience (which I have a lot of) and money (which is in much shorter supply).
Valued Member
Learn More...
241 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecuador has been tough to complete; it is not the ability to afford what I need, it is just that some (notably the 1894/1895 series officials with overprints) I've literally never even seen listed.

French West Africa 12 unused...not a high value, just can't seem to find it!
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had umpty-seven different stamp collections since I started in the early 1940's. Two or three decades ago a postmark on a stamp from some place in Africa caught my fancy and so I decided to turn my stamp-collecting into getting a stamp POSTALLY canceled from every city/town/etc. in every distinct postal entity there has been in the world. At this moment my "Gazetteer Collection" has 71,839 in it and I figure that if I can live maybe another century I'll finally get my collection complete. In the meantime, I'm getting new ones almost every day and it's great fun. I just keep wondering which-town-where is going to be that last one I need to get.....
Valued Member
Australia
13 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowy121 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to complete my Indonesian 1948/49 independence collection mainly missing the Imperf Dutch Blockade S/S's which are rather expensive doubt if it will ever be complete ,unless I win the lottery!!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1477 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Libya 102-107

These definitely exist but are very hard to find as singles The high values of the set seem easier despite being much more expensive.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 2,018Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05