Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

B1 Breast Cancer Stamp Value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 606Next Topic  
Valued Member

344 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why does the USPS Non Denominated Postage Guide in the link below show the First Class Breast Cancer stamp as having a postage value of 55c when other First Class non-denominated stamps have a fixed postage value at the time of their issuance?

https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q604a.htm

Look at this envelope on a thread posted on these forums. The stamp indicates it was issued in 1998, when postage was at 32c, but the sender was able to use it with no problem (meaning not adding 12c in postage) in November 2011 when the first class rate was 44c.

http://goscf.com/t/20355

I don't think it's right or fair for someone who bought this stamp in 1998 when postage was 32c to be able to use it at the current value.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. It would seem that the USPS chose to ignore any difference between B1 (1998 Breast Cancer) & B5 (2015 Breast Cancer), making both still viable as postage. Does this perhaps, in some sense, make B1 the first U.S. "Forever" stamp? It certainly predates the 2007 Liberty Bells.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7561 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Post Office desires notwithstanding, any stamp the says "First Class" should be currently valid, since it has no other face value and was never demonetized. When I add up face lots I always assume that people will use them accordingly.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the "First Class" on a stamp should make a stamp usable at whatever the current first class rate might be. This, of course, would make all of the "First Class +" semi-postals good for 55 cents of postage now. Instead, it appears that the USPS has set the postal values of such stamps at whatever the first class rate might have been when they were withdrawn from sale. Of course, given today's penchant for not cancelling stamps, I suspect any U.S. semipostal would likely be accepted as valid first class postage anyway.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Torin said: "I don't think it's right or fair for someone who bought this stamp in 1998 when postage was 32c to be able to use it at the current value."

Well, the post office received the 32 twenty-two years ago and hasn't had to do anything to fulfill its obligation until the stamp is put on a mailing. True, the labor to fulfill that obligation twenty-two years later is more expensive, but the post office has had the use of the money for the duration of that time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The rules are simple. An issue with "first class" denomination retains its original purchase price value. "forever" stamps are valued at the current first class postage rate. Sometimes people break rules, intentionally or not, and sometimes they get away with it.
Valued Member
344 Posts
Posted 06/25/2020   02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jr. Ratfish: Completely agree that "First Class" denoted stamps should retain their fixed postage value at the time of their issuance.

I think it's odd that the USPS would denote the Breast cancer stamp as having a postage value of 55c when it was issued in 1998 when postage was 32c. On the USPS website, it indicates for the Breast Cancer stamp

"Purchase price, 65; Postage value, 55

Breast Cancer Research Semi-Postal

Issued July 29, 1998"

I think the USPS should be more clear about the fixed values for this and other first class non-denominated stamps that have been sold for many years through many rate changes.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05