Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newfoundland Stamp Identification Of Early Issues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 430Next Topic  
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...

Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   1:20 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add steve123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, everyone:

Does anyone know of a good site or reference for differentiating the #'s 1-9 to #'s 11-15? The colors are difficult to differentiate with shades. Also, I certainly am not an expert with the types of paper. Were the dies the same with these issues? Forgeries may be another area to look but fairly confident that these are legit but will compare as well. Lastly, I will send to Vincent Graves Greene if necessary.

The ones I have are below:

Many thanks,
Steve

Send note to Staff
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Specializing in Canadian Revenues
Also Canada / USA EFO's
www.morelandrevenuestamps.com

Pillar Of The Community
7124 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Wert. I will look into those.
Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 06/27/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd also recommend buying the definitive resource (like the bible) for Newfoundland stamps : The Newfoundland Specialized Stamp Catalogue (NSSC).

It has much granularity on these stamps with regard to differentiating them and more.

http://www.nfldstamps.com

PDF version and worth the price.
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   8:41 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Tommy. I'm in the process of downloading now. Looking forward to reviewing it!
Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Pillar Of The Community
United States
652 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
You can't go wrong with that resource, though you will find it super dense and a tad overwhelming. A few subjective thoughts which some may disagree with, which is ok:

Unlike Unitrade or Scott which are shallow and rarely change if ever, NSSC and its super knowledgeable and connected John Walsh is open to fact based changes, and updates the catalog accordingly.
I've bought many a bargain based on this intel which many do not have.

Lastly, I'm sort of old school so I bought a hard copy as well (7th edition) and have dividers and notations to help--for example, I write in pencil the corresponding Unitrade/Scott number next to the NSSC number.
(Yes, NSSC has its own numbering sequence which is logic based due to changes and because Unitrade/Scott claim legal rights to their numbering. Some complain about NSSC for this, but its not like Newfoundland is making more stamps, its a fixed set of less than 400 postal stamps).

Keep posting stamps to this board too, since you'll get free intelligence and information. Of course, asking 5 community members will yield 6 different opinions...

SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
265 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Tommy:
Thanks for the reply. I've been using it a little while now and have already learned more than I had known for sure! Now I'm going to have to go back to more Newfoundland to see if there is something I missed!
Many thanks,
Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 430Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05