Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Forgeries For French Morocco

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 204Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2248 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostmasterGS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw a few rare ones slip by this week, so I thought I'd share for posterity's sake.

In May/July 1942, the British Political Warfare Executive produced overprints in which the French Morocco 50 centimes and 1 franc stamps of 1939-40 were overprinted "Deutsche Reichspost in Marokko". It is believed that a single sheet of each value was produced, apparently in an attempt to persuade Marshal Philippe Pιtain, the head of Vichy France, and Pierre Laval, the Prime Minister of the same, that the Nazis were preparing to occupy French possessions in North Africa.

The overprint exists with both thick (Type I) and thin (Type II) overprints, with both coming from the same sheet, usually found in se-tenant form.

These issues have a surprisingly low catalog value in Michel.

50 C. (MiNr. 34): 2,200€ (MH) / 3,500€ (MNH)
1 Fr. (MiNr. 35): 2,800€ (MH) / 4,500€ (MNH)

I say surprisingly low, because only 11 copies of MiNr. 34 are known to exist, and only 7 copies of MiNr. 35.

MiNr. 34 I

MiNr. 34 II

MiNr. 35 I with selvage of Type II

Due to the limited numbers, the issues rarely come up for auction. The Propaganda and Espionage Philately website indicates that se-tenant pairs came up for auction in 1992 and October 2009. This week, the Heinrich Kφhler auctionhouse had up for auction the copies shown above — singles of MiNr. 34 I and MiNr 34 II, and a se-tenant pair of MiNr. 35 I with selvedge of Type II.

Final hammer prices:

MiNr. 34 I (MNH, hinge on selvage) — 9,000€
MiNr. 34 II (MH) — 6,000€
MiNr. 35 I (MH) — 8,500€

They quickly skyrocketed past my spending limit, so I guess I'll have to try again in another decade or two!
Send note to Staff
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 06/26/2020 6:54 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful broadcast of examples I was not aware of.
Have recently been mounting my French Morocco.
Thank you for posting, Postmaster.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 06/26/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OzwaldO to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Yet more stamps I want,I will have to win the lottery. Very interesting,so much history. Made me Smile! Thanks! I will need 4 sets, 1 for my France, 1 for Great Britain, 1 for Germany and 1 for Morocco, wish me luck!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 204Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05