Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Try At A Ribbed Banknote

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 267Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
886 Posts
Posted 06/27/2020   11:46 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Forgot I had this one. This is not soft paper. Looks like typical wove paper. Is this legit vertical ribbing? (I think its a Continental 163)

Send note to Staff
Edited by rlsny - 06/27/2020 11:48 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   12:24 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could be. The color appears to be right. Ribbing can occur front or back and sometimes both. I purchased a ribbed 15 cent bank note stamp at the auction at the APS show in Atlanta some years ago. The auctioneer listed it as Scott 152 (a common mistake). After I pointed this out, the auctioneer changed the number to 163 on the floor but forgot the ribbed paper part. The 3 cent Hamilton Fish cover in my ribbed paper collection was previously in an award-winning exhibit but not noted as such in the exhibit. The color of some 3 cent bank note Continental ribbed paper is often distinctive, making candidate examples fairly easy to spot.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by cfrphoto - 06/28/2020 12:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
886 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's interesting. Normally 152s are a kind of washed out orange and 163s are a brighter orange. When I compared this one it was brighter than the 152s but not at orangey as the 163s. Would it help to scan in all three for comparison?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
886 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   1:34 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I figure it couldn't hurt. I took an average colored 152 and 163. The stamp in the middle is the one in question. It's obviously a pretty subtle thing, but maybe it can help.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2281 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   3:03 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a ribbed #163 and it has already been identified as such previously. I think you even had it on eBay as a ribbed paper stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
886 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   4:39 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. It's still there. I listed it about a year ago, but recent discussions here made me question it. Did I post it here last year? If I did I apologize. I forgot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2281 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you posted here. No biggie...
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05