Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Scott US Supplements Content Policy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 325Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 06/28/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BwanaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone tell me if Scott cleanly separates their annual supplements. That is to say, If I get the 2019 US supplement, the pages only include anything released between Jan 1 and Dec 31, and that they don't take the last page of 2018 and tack on one or two 2019 issues and continue. I was sick and tired of Harris Liberty doing that forcing me to remount every damn year, and I've heard that Scott pulls the same crap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They usually have a clean cut-off year to year but Scott sometimes issues pages in a supplement that replace pages from prior years for example if there was a change in the Scott Catalogue listing for some stamps. In the 2016 National supplement they included four replacement pages for the previous supplement due to "a number of formatting errors". My usual practice is to leave everything I have already mounted as is and also include the blank replacement pages in my album if I ever decide to remount the stamps. So far I haven't gone back and remounted prior year's stamps on the new pages.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is the cutoff Dec 31? Or do the supplements do something like span Nov 20XX to Oct 20XX+1?
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott National supplements are for the calendar year. To the best of my recollection they include all stamps for the calendar year.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1596 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They will also replace pages in a continuing series to include them together
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, I knew it was too good to be true. Any remounting for anything other than actual printing mistakes is a non-starter. I was hoping to transition from White Ace to self-made White Ace (with editorial tweaks) to Scott but the redoing of pages to keep long running series together is a no-go. Thanks you for the info.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2776 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I abandoned Scott National due to the cost of supplements and the replacement and remounting pages. I moved to Mystic for modern.

But, these days the USPS does not have definitive series like they did when I stopped so would not think this is as much of an issue. The recent series had been Chinese Nee Year, Love, Wedding, Black Heritage, and an occasional Purple Heart but never seen these grouped.
Al
Edited by angore - 06/30/2020 5:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted Yesterday   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BwanaBob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. This is because instead of being true sets, they become ongoing series because the USPS never met a series idea it didn't like. As a result we have a scheduled glut. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple of ongoing series that are at least history based and tell a story that needs telling. But I could see dispensing with the following "series" we get every *** year:
1) Love
2) Wedding 1 oz and 2 oz
3) Food and vegetables of any sort
4) Specific stamps for Lunar new year / Christmas / Eid / Hanukkah / Kwanzaa - replace with maybe 1 generic happy holiday season type stamp, nothing specific to any one culture.
5) Flowers
6) Flags - unless we actually add a state/star, or at least reduce this to 1 every 5 years.
7) new postcard stamps - they're forever for pete's sake, you don't need new issues if the rates change, issue new designs when the stocks run low.

Removing these from the schedule would open up opportunities for more commemorative stamps honoring history , places of higher education, community organizations, national treasures (parks, museums) and other national institutions.

I'm sure I've just peed on someone's parade but I'm just tired of being able to sketch a guess about the annual schedule and be 80% right. The only things I should be able to predict outright are statehood milestones, presidential mournings (rare) or presidential major birthday anniversaries (centennials, etc).
Edited by BwanaBob - Yesterday 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2776 Posts
Posted Yesterday   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott groups when they reserve a block of numbers for definitive sets. The only seroes as of late that would have been a candidate was the low value fruit series. Scott did not try to second guess.
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 325Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05