Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zeppelin Stamps Options

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 368Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   03:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Boghopper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I've got the three Classic zeppelin stamps inherited from my father. They had disappeared for a while but just found them. I'm not a collector so I'm thinking I should sell them before they disappear again. What's the best way to proceed? Looks like I can try to get them graded. Does that make sense? If so where should I do that? They all look unused, with a little piece of paper attached by perforations with a number. I think they are Scott number c13-15. I also have a pair of stamps attached without perforations that say army navy with a picture of a gun and are 2 cents each.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks
Send note to Staff
Edited by Boghopper - 06/29/2020 03:18 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4876 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perry Mason in The Case of the Disappearing Airships. The numbers will be those of the printing plate. If you show decent front and back scans, and people here will give you a good idea of what they'll fetch without the cost of obtaining a certificate.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And do not remove the numbered tabs (the selvage). Those stamps are called "plate number singles" and are more valuable with those numbered selvages attached.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boghopper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, here are the images of the stamps. thanks again for any advice.

Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
you have some very nice items. thanks for sharing. as for value I will leave that for more informed people, the scott no's are c13,14 and 15 and the pair is 900a.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Get those Zeps certified and graded - they are beautiful.

Assuming they are all mint and never hinged, the current 2019 Scott catalogue values are:

United States
4 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boghopper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. so do I go to pse to get that done? That's what I found for stamp grading. also it looks like some stamps get encapsulated. is that a good thing to do?
Edited by Boghopper - 06/29/2020 3:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the zeps are worthy of certification/grading and PSE is fine for that. Do not get them encapsulated; just get graded certificates. The 2 cent Army Navy stamp looks like a 900 with some unpunched perfs, not a 900a.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My thinking is that having them certified is something that will cost you time and money. They are what they are and there is not much doubt about that. You will likely find that your net after having them certified might be the same dollar amount that you might realize selling them without going to the trouble. Of course many people have opinions and you certainly should take the time to find out what is best for you. Talk to some reputable dealers and see what they tell you. As you can see from the catalog values they are desirable. The actual grading of them will help establish an idea of the value but my guess is that you won't realize half of those values. Here is a link where you can get more information.
https://siegelauctions.com/ Best of luck
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certification will get you the highest sale price. Certs will confirm the presence or absence of faults, such as thins, re-gumming, or re-perforating. They will also answer the hinged / never hinged question. I also have a set of these - MNH and PSE certified XF90. Here's an example from my collection.

PSE will charge you 5% of catalogue value or $30 - whichever is larger. Grading is optional and there is no added charge for it. Expect it to take 30 working days to get the certificates once they get the stamps.

C13 and C14 will cost $30 each
C15 will be $42.50 (5% of $850)
subtotal = $102.50

priority mail return shipping = $15.90
$1000-2000 insurance = $14.00
overall cost estimate = $132.40
That is 8% of the cat. value (as VF80)

When I submit stamps to PSE, I use Certified Mail, plus they must sign for upon receipt. I have private insurance through APS that covers any shipment I make. I do keep a scan of the stamp(s) and the PSE submission form as proof plus the CM receipt and signature confirmation of delivery. YMMV.

Edited by uboatnut - 06/29/2020 5:06 pm
United States
4 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boghopper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for the help and advice.
Valued Member
United States
18 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of certificates, the only stamp I have bought with a certificate (Philatelic Foundation) was a U.S. used #1 in the 1990s from a well known dealer who is at all major shows and advertises heavily. The stamp looked fine, the certificate said it was genuine and there were no other comments on the certificate. When I got home I looked at the back and someone had written #1 on the back in pencil. I know it was my responsibility to look at the back before I bought it but my impression at the time was that a certificate would have highlighted any issues such as writing on the stamp. I know better now that a certificate is not the be all and end all regarding possible issues with a stamp. I have to assume the writing was on the stamp when it was expertized as it would make no sense for a dealer or collector to write on it afterward.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4442 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Older certificates did not mention such things. That has changed. In any case certificates should be updated for a few reasons not the least of which is technological advances.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
369 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many older PF certificates do not mention hinged or never hinged.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 368Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05