Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Getting Organized For Trading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 476Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/01/2020   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am curious how those that do a lot of trading by catalog number, organize your trades. Do you keep them in stock pages with the catalog number, 102 cards, etc? I see people with a lot of stamps on the not to be named trading site and just wonder how much they have invested in binders, stock pages, etc.

How do you do it?
Send note to Staff
Al

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question. Will also be interesting to see what sort of answers you generate.

Myself, I last traded in the 1960s when I was in high school.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you specifically only referring to actual trading or are you grouping selling on one of the online sites in this topic as well? I personally am looking forward to the answers you may receive, in order for me to organize what I am selling or trading. It used to be easy enough to put the items into individual envelopes and pile them by country when I had 50 - 100 listings. Now that I am approaching 300, that method no longer works when trying to retrieve a particular item.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4773 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same as Steve ,last trade was in the 1960's .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4962 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Al - the end-point of my sorting is chronological order in stock-books. I arrange these as (a) GB/Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth; (b) France and Colonies/ex-Colonies, then alphabetically within continents for the rest. To get there, I run through stock-pages, glassines, envelopes, small heaps on tables etc.
Valued Member
Spain
182 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I have 30.596 pieces for exchange or sale on an external website.
The stamps that fit in these drawers are standing separated by thick and strong cardboard.
The complete sheets in folders with bags and HB, FDC, in wooden boxes.
Everything ordered by catalog number that I write on the pieces of colored acetate or white paper, somewhat higher than the stamp.
The lower drawer is only from Spain. Each drawer measures 33 x 25 cm.
Regards.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 07/02/2020   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. That is some organization.

I keep most of my spares in glassines but not identified individually. I have some higher values one on Vario pages with labels for the catalog number. For those with thousand plus stamps, it would seem to require a substantial investment in something.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/02/2020 5:05 pm
Valued Member
74 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do trade in a very narrow band, just one issue and its varieties. So this makes handling the content on a stock page easy, and makes the valuing easy, a standard percentage of Scott to serve as the exchange value. Main labor is in the writing up.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 476Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05