Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rs390 St Louis Provisional On Ebay

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,801Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too many questions IMO. Also, look at the seller's other listings and completed items. Grab-bag lots, horribly overpriced common German inflation-era stamps... yet we're supposed to believe this person has a genuine rare provisional revenue stamp *and* somehow knew what it was?

I don't buy it... nor would I.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a couple of bidders are willing to take the risk,
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know the individual but have been in email contact. True, not well versed in stamps, claims he has fallen on hard times during the pandemic. Supposedly from his late father's lifetime collection. Easily faked story, but I would not be surprised that the item in question is genuine. Should have gotten a cert first and then could probably get full catalog value.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, lots of bids and went to $665.88 level, but did not meet the reserve so it has been relisted.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Needs a cert to go higher.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1571 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A certain well-known revenue dealer bid on the item.

That might indicate that the item is, in fact, genuine.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't make that assumption for such a low bid. He might have worked out the right to get a cert. Or he might know it's a fake but scarce enough to make it worthwhile.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
681 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We cannot be sure of its authenticity without examining the item in the flesh(?). In fact I have suggested to the person that it be submitted to the PF or APS for an opinion. The only skeptical remark in this thread that has any traction with me personally is if the cancel is applied separately, something we cannot know without actual examination of the item. The different setting, the missing punctuation, etc. are characteristic of what happens in print shops when a printing plate is set up for a sheet with many positions. We see it with cancellation plates, for example, on the MDC cancels on the first two dates used on RE32. Personally, I think there is a high probability that it is genuine.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't like the look of the cancel, which is why I brought it up before.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Only made it to $610.00 this round and did not hit the reserve.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Third time was the charm. Sold for $800.00.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now we know it's a fake. That is far too low for a genuine example.
Valued Member
United States
45 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are mistaken because it is a genuine stamp. Not in the best of shape, but none of the Van Dykes have survived in wonderful condition.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6848 Posts
Posted 08/04/2020   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to see it in person before I would believe it genuine at this point.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now we know it's a fake. That is far too low for a genuine example.

I disagree with this as a general statement. The amount something sells for is not a litmus test as to whether something is genuine or not. It could depend on any or all of the following:

1. The venue
2. The images and description
3. The return/extension policy
4. The reputation of the seller
5. The nature of the bidders and their level of expertise
6. The timing
7. The particular risk tolerances of the players in question

Sure, the amount garnered can certainly *imply* whether an item is genuine or not, but it is hardly definitive. I've bought enough items both in eBay auctions that run to completion and through major auction houses at bargain prices well below market value to know that it all depends who's bidding or not bidding at that particular moment in time.
Edited by revenuecollector - 08/05/2020 11:06 am
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,801Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05