Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rs390 St Louis Provisional On Ebay

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,996Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
419 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eric please explain why the item is genuine. none of the notes or literature I have seen says anything of the punctuation problems this stamp has. I know it is quite scarce, but for nothing to show up is also not common.

revcollector price is not,nor has it ever been an indication of an items provenance. as pointed out any number of factors will enter into the equation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A while ago I bought a narcotic stamp off eBay for about 12% of catalog that got a clean PF cert, so no sale price does not always equate to fake versus genuine.
Valued Member
Learn More...
388 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now we know it's a fake. That is far too low for a genuine example.

Hardly the go/no-go test for genuineness.

I have successfully purchased Series 1940 overprints mis'IDd in eBay collections because I knew what to look for, and others didn't or didn't pay attention.

The fact I purchased them far below cat doesn't mean they aren't real.

In this case, folks were skeptical and didn't bid.

I withhold opinion as I don't collect these, but final price shouldn't be what determines whether it is genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6971 Posts
Posted 08/05/2020   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a really rare stamp that catalogs $5500. If some collector bought this example and it's genuine for only $800, they should be doing cartwheels down Main Street for a month.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
573 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   08:40 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most of us on this forum know who bought it based on the eBay feedback score.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This buyer has the knowledge.
Valued Member
Learn More...
388 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is a really rare stamp that catalogs $5500. If some collector bought this example and it's genuine for only $800, they should be doing cartwheels down Main Street for a month.

I assume anyone here with the means will be able to feel better about now spending $5000 for the exact same item, safe in the knowledge it is real. If not this week, soonly....
Valued Member
Learn More...
388 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most of us on this forum know who bought it based on the eBay feedback score.

The fact this buyer attempted to buy it the second time it was on eBay should be enough to tell anyone whether or not it was worth attempting to buy....... The final price didn't exceed the reserve so the sale didn't go through.

Who is surprised he bid again on the third try and was successful?

Shocking!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6971 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It won't be soonly, at least not on eBay.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4145 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say privately placed or soonly but not on eBay. Retailed by reputation.
Valued Member
Learn More...
388 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it didn't already have a buyer, I agree, it won't be on eBay...

It will be for sale however and I assume we will soon see an addition to this topic with a link.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6971 Posts
Posted 08/06/2020   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was also making the statement that another example is highly unlikely to come up on eBay anytime soon. This is a really rare provisional stamp, with a very limited usage both in time and quantity, with a very low survival rate because of how it was used.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 42 / Views: 1,996Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05