Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fighting Ebay's All Inclusive Search Engine

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 457Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1925 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there any way one can search for a specific Scott # on eBay Stamps without triggering thousands of results from 'All Categories'? Today I was searching for a US Scott #18 in the Nineteenth Century Used category. I was getting returns of 2-3 thousand other listings including auto parts. I used to enjoy searching for my needs on there. Now the eBay Gods apparently have decided I don't know what I am looking for and they are going to be 'helpful'. Try as I may I cannot prevent a search from extending into other, even non stamp related categories.

What exactly am I not doing or doing incorrectly?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps1962 - 07/03/2020 8:45 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1277 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   9:30 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You'll have to play with it but this works;

#18 - Used US Stamps (19th Century)

after the dash I mimic the eBay category and can avoid getting searches covering all categories.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1404 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:35 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing works for the type Ia US Scott #500. The best solution for fixed priced listings is to go to HipStamp. Many eBay listings are synced on HipStamp.

To search for Scott US 18 type in US-18. (HipStamp recommends US-#18 but I don't agree with using the pound sign (#) character in titles because it is a waste of one character. In any case the HipStamp search appears to find stamps without a pound sign in the title. If you want to find the stamp on eBay and pay the sales tax, copy the title and search for it. Otherwise, buy it on HipStamp and avoid paying sales tax on items from out-of-state sellers while it lasts.

I also notice that HipStamp search returns more than the simplistic string matching used by eBay sot that variations in punctuation of use of standard philatelic marketplace technology is more likely to work. While the HipStamp search is not perfect, I noticed that it could also be used to quickly find at least some state revenues with a search string like DE-B39 to find a Delaware beer stamp. And, no motorcycle parts.

Edited by cfrphoto - 07/03/2020 11:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2831 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What exactly am I not doing or doing incorrectly?

An impossible situation. You are expecting accurate and consistent results from inaccurate and inconsistent input by sellers, not to mention the interference from other occurrences of the number sequence.
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can narrow your search with boolean search string expressions. eBay does recognize some operators for example if do a search with in US Stamp for:

You'll get all kinds of junk. So first get a little more specific with 494 Washington or SC 494 Washington or add Scott, 3 cents, etc... Just be aware that the more specific you are, sellers are inconsistent and you may miss some ads.

If you put in: 494 -cover -covers -panel

It will remove many of the stamps on cover that come up. You can use multiples to tailor your search. I usual start out using the simple search and start adding -term to remove the junk. As you see more items you don't want to see, keep adding a -term to remove them

Make sure you put a space between each and no space between the minus sign and term. Just as shown above.

If you click on advanced search by the search button, you'll find some options there to tailor your search too.
Forum Dad
USA
1546 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you put in: 494 -cover -covers -panel

Easier => 494 -(cover,covers,panel)
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bobby131313: Right!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1925 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   4:56 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Using advanced search helps, a bit. But I am still getting returns from 'all categories'. It seems I need to type in a nearly full description of what I am looking for - and even with that I pull up auto parts and clothing. When in heck did this change? I haven't really been searching for specific items for a few months. It seems not long ago I was more or less able to narrow down a search. What a dumb way to program this.

HipStamps, here I come..
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just went to the stamp section on eBay, selected the category "Used US Stamps (19th Century)" and then searched for Scott 18 within that subcategory. It returned 105 items. Not all of them were the stamp Scott #18 as some had "18" in some other part of the description but certainly it's easy to scroll through 105 results. Check to see if the box next to the search box is limiting the search to 19th century used within the Stamps category.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 457Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05