Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member Interested In Discussing A Farley Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 416Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MSU92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum. I've been collecting stamps and postal history for over 40 years. I am most interested in Pre-1946 US commemorative usage (on covers, postcards, etc), National Park postal history, Chicago and a bit of Michigan...I also originally collected Canadian singles too....

Was hoping at the moment to discuss a Farley-related item that I have acquired. Thanks!

Send note to Staff
Edited by MSU92 - 07/03/2020 10:25 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome. We need a picture, of course
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
341 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum.

Looking forward to your scan(s) of the Farleyana.
There have been several interestng threads on Farley in the past which turn up easily with the search function above. These might be of interest to you as well.
Edited by jleb1979 - 07/03/2020 10:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!
Do you have a specific question about your cover?
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MSU92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, thanks all for the welcome. My question is regarding the cancel date and the stamps themselves.....are they real?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I will delete my reply here until you supply us with everything you know about your cover.
Edited by John Becker - 07/03/2020 11:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MSU92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have probably scanned the back too. Clear as a bell- October 25, 1934. Is it possible that these are from the "Gift Sheets"? I did a little digging and per the local paper, the recipient's sister was in Hawaii at the very time that this was cancelled. She stayed at the Volcano House which is the Hawaii National Park cancel.... The recipient was indeed a collector himself and postal employee in Oregon....
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MSU92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's essentially everything that I know. They look imperforate and the cancel dates are clearly from 1934. So I'm wondering if they are part of the "Gift Sheets" from Farley/Ickes etc? It would seem unlikely that two clerks (in Hawaii and Oregon) would make a mistake and use 1934 instead of 1935 (or later) on the postmarks... if they're not from the Gift Sheets, I can only assume it was sadly an attempt to create something that is faked....
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   05:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome!

Dale
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MSU92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MSU92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Again: Does anyone have any thoughts on this item? Just wondering. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4096 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would post this in the U.S Covers forum.
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MSU92 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, will do!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05