Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

4825B-44B Harry Potter Imperforate No Die Cut

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 288Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ckj8778 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently bought some harry potter imperforate stamps but I was shocked when they arrived to find no die cuts. They look totally fake. Is it legitimate that each block of four "stamps" is one piece? How could they even be used as postage if one should so choose? I'm still questioning if they are legit. Is that how they were sold? Five sets of four "stamps" but nothing to pull off the paper...just a printed "picture". Were they just for collecting purposes? I was not into stamp collecting when they were released and I can't find much info online about these.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1466 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may explain what you want to know (read right down):

https://www.mysticstamp.com/Product...25-44b/USA/#
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckj8778 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did see this but it doesn't really clarify answers to my questions. I don't quite understand how these are "stamps" or how they are supposed to be used for postage, or were not intended to be? I just want to be certain the ones I purchased are real. I've never seen anything like this. I thought imperforate meant straight line cuts (versus traditional wavy cut), but not no cuts at all!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1164 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are legitimate stamps. To use them as such, you would need to peel them from the backing paper on which they sit. This is not necessarily an easy task. They are probably more valuable as collectibles than as actual postage.
Added: Since there are 4 stamps per Potter pane, you would likely also need to use scissors to cut off however many you wanted to use on a given parcel/envelope.
Edited by JLLebbert - 07/03/2020 11:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   11:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckj8778 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But they can't be peeled individually, I would have to peel the whole 4" by 4" square picture of all four printed stamps as there is no cut around each one. To use one stamp I would have to cut it out with a pair of scissors... I'm trying to understand why they were made this way.
Pillar Of The Community
699 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the Baseball Star Players Issue of 2012 through the Lunar New Year issue of 2016 most stamps were issued in no die cut sheets as another collectible from the USPS. All were valid postage. There were a number of ways of collecting: mint singles, mint pairs (block)s, mint panes or mint sheets.

Some of the panes are more valuable, esp. the 2015 Civil War and the 2013 Made in America. Of course, items such as a full no die cut panes of the Express Mail stamps are more valuable because of the high face value. For instance, a 2016 $22.25 Columbia River Gorge pane pf 3 has a face value of $222.50 (and a dealer selling price in excess of $700) while the full mini-sheet of 9 has a face value of $ 667.50.

My particular subset of collecting these is FDCs with the Digital Color Postmark. Extremely difficult to find. Here's my example of the last such issue on DCP FDC.

Edited by Glenn Estus - 07/04/2020 06:37 am
Valued Member
United States
195 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ckj8778,
Imperforate means no perforations and no die cuts. The only way to separate the stamps is to cut them out. These stamps are meant to remain together as a collectible unit and not to actually be used. If you use them for postage you will make a future postal historian very happy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1164 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was a gimmick to entice collectors to buy more stamps. They started with the popular Baseball All-Stars issue in the summer of 2012. The modern imperfs were popular with some (but not all) collectors. But occasionally it worked too well as a few issues would sell out before the issue date. This resulted in criticism of the USPS for not producing sufficient quantities, even though there were only a few instances in which the imperfs sold out early. Rather than risking continued criticism, the USPS simply decided to abandon the issuance of modern imperfs in early 2016. Note that it would likely be easier to first remove a stamp from a full pane with scissors and then remove the individual stamp from the backing paper.
Added: The stamps can be individually peeled, albeit with a good deal of difficulty.
Edited by JLLebbert - 07/04/2020 06:47 am
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckj8778 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your help. It was confusing because I also recently purchased the bugs bunny sheet with the tenth stamp an imperforate, which was a straight line die cut around one stamp whereas the other nine on the sheet were traditional wavy cut perforation. This led me to believe that the term "imperforate" referred to the type of cut around the stamp rather than having no cut at all.
Anyone know how many harry potter 4125b-44b stamps were produced? I can't find that info either, only that they are 'scarce'.
Also wondering why some are in foldout booklets (possibly cut from a press sheet?) but most sets are five individually cut squares. Anyone know what format they were produced in? Why would they would be cut individually if they came in a booklet? Especially since it divides a full picture on the back of two squares.

Thank you all for helping to educate me on this stamp series and collecting aspects in general. Being new to philately I have much to learn!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1164 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Harry Potter imperfs were issued in press sheets of 120 stamps (6 booklets of 20) ... as I recall the 5 different panes appeared in a single row, 6 rows to a press sheet. The panes of stamps were on one side & the booklet covers on the reverse. A total of 2500 press sheets were produced. The reason for cutting a strip into 5 individual panes was for ease of collecting & presentation. A strip of 5 panes proved a bit unwieldy for most stamp albums.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 288Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05