Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About This Franklin Bank Note

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 620Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

10 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hac5x3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
No experience, so my questions may seen obtuse. I saw this stamp for sale as a Scott 182. However, the post mark is dated January 1, 1873. Which eliminates 182 as that I believe was 1879. It's also not a 156, because the earliest known use of that stamp was August of 1873. But it also looks like it has a secret mark, so I am a little confused.

I am also curious about the blue cancel - I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1318 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't my area of expertise, but that date marking doesn't look like anything I've ever seen on a large bank note stamp. I wouldn't assume it is contemporaneous.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that auction. It was from a trusted seller from which I frequently buy. I thought that it looked like a fake cancel, so I passed on it. Is it authentic?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an attempted revenue use - thus a revenue cancel and not a postal cancel.
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jr. Ratfish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it does look like a revenue cancel. If the date is true, it must be a 145. I can not tell from the picture if there is a secret mark or not. Now I wish I had bid on it. If I remember correctly, it did not sell for much.
Valued Member
10 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hac5x3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sold for $24.50. I thought it might be a fake cancel also. Wasn't aware that it could have been a revenue cancel(?). But I didn't want to get into a bidding war over a stamp I couldn't identify so I topped off at $20.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
436 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not in an area of my expertise but it looks like an 1878 cancel to me; thus a 156 if it has a secret mark?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6857 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Might be "DETROIT" at the bottom of the dated cancel. With 2 cancels it is hard to read. It might be a circular rate postal use to mail an insurance document, a not infrequent form of mail at the time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There appear to be two arced lines of company or business names at the top.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6857 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Without being able to read exactly who they were, there is no way to be sure that it was a revenue use and not used like a precancel on some kind of circular rate item. I have seen uses of that type over the years. Not very often, but they do exist. An insurance company is one example that I have seen.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6857 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the problems with it being a revenue use is that there was no one cent tax rate at the time, and the position of the cancel would seem to indicate a solo use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6857 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By 1873 the only documentary tax still in effect was the two cent tax on checks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A private company would have no reason or authority to cancel postage stamps on their mail.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6857 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yet I have seen one cent bank notes used to mail insurance certificates with cancels of the company AND a postal cancel, just as this one well might have. Granted, most of the time the company cancel was near but not on the stamp, but not always.
Edited by revcollector - 07/04/2020 6:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2838 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just because someone did it, does not mean they had the authority to to so. The overall point still being, it looks like a private corporate cancel, and not a postal cancel.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
67 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We need Eric Jackson to weigh in on this.

Dave
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 620Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05