Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Alternative Catalog Numbers For Nicaragua Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 381Next Topic  
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi - I am looking at DelCampe for some Nicaraguan stamps but all I have is Scott Catalog Nos. Is there an alternative catalog system for South American stamps that would perhaps be used by non-USA sellers? I am looking for Scott Nos. 525-532 and Scott Nos. 587-596. Any help in my search would be appreciated. Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4962 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Europe, collectors would use Gibbons, Yvert or Michel. For a chance of a cross-reference, you might describe the stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking for someone that might have these catalogs to possibly help out with the corresponding numbers. I don't have access to other catalogs (besides Scott).
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4962 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, what I meant was that you could details of the stamps, eg Great Racehorses, issued June 1933, which woukd enable the rest of us to pinpoint them. Few non-stamp dealers in Europe will have Scott catalogues.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
525 1930

587 1933
Edited by rod222 - 07/04/2020 6:01 pm
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod's got it ... those are the ones. Is there a consensus for the type of catalogs used by Latin/South American collectors and dealers?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
516 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On Delcampe specifically, for Latin American stuff most used seems to be Michel, then Scott & Yvert less frequently.
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2255 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 525-535 = Michel 495-505
Scott 587-599 = Michel 615-627
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   11:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Postmaster GS ... just what I was looking for.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canyoneer: there is a Nicaragua Study Group listed on the APS web site under Affiliates.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2975 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott 525-535 = Michel 495-505 = SG 636-646
Scott 587-599 = Michel 615-627 = SG 753-765
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
792 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Remember when there were catalog number "translators" showing the numbers used in different catalogues? Is that still done or is it a victim of copyright laws which say you can't profit form using "my" catalog numbers without my permission? When I buy from Europe, it's sometimes a major pain to try to identify what stamp a catalogue number is referring to, and when the brand of catalogue is given, I invariably don't own that catalogue. Thank goodness for pictures.
Valued Member
71 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaelschreiber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Nicaragua Study Group is publishing a second edition of the book Nicaragua to 1940: A Philatelic Handbook, by Clyde Maxwell. We were gifted ownership of this catalog in 2019 by previous owner Bill Byerley, who years ago bought the rights to the work from the widow of Clyde Maxwell.

So far, we have published in early 2020 the enlarged and improved second edition only as a draft e-book. It is in color and with images of real stamps. It might only ever be an e-book. The second edition retains Maxwell's valuations from 1988 (we are not all-knowing of what the stamps are worth, and it is too much work to try to keep up).

The second edition includes Maxwell catalog numbers and Gibbons catalog numbers (with the kind permission of Stanley Gibbons Ltd.) No Scott numbers -- Scott wanted too much money, and we would have had to jump through too many hoops on an annual basis.

I am the editor of the quarterly Nicarao and the editor of the second edition of Maxwell and the Nicaragua Study Group's secretary-treasurer.

All members have this draft e-book, and any new member will receive the draft e-book after joining the NSG. Dues are $10 for an e-mail subscription to Nicarao, $20 by postal mail to the USA, $22 by postal mail to Canada, and $25 by postal mail elsewhere. If paying by PayPal, those amounts are $10.75, $21.20, $23.30, or $26.50.

More information is at

http://www.bio-nica.info/nicarao/index.html

Edited by michaelschreiber - 07/16/2020 1:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4850 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   10:13 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's unfortunate that Amos Media makes it so onerous to try and license their numbers, even for smaller projects. That company is clinging to an analog model... and it will ultimately be the death of them.
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An update on my hunt ... I found one of the sets I was looking for! Woo Hoo! It was listed as a page from a collection. No Scott or any other catalog numbers were given as clues. Just spent a lot of time looking thru "lots, collections, etc". After 4 years or so, the hunt for that set is over. This is when it is fun!
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 381Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05