Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Palo Hingeless Album Or Davo Luxe Hingeless Album For An US Collection. Which One Should I Go?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 428Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/04/2020   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Davo luxe is much cheaper => https://paloalbums.com/products/uni...c0125c&_ss=r

The Palo one is more expensive. I don't care about the colors, I would have them printed black and white => https://paloalbums.com/collections/.../products/un ... 6361491559

Which one do you prefer and why?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4639 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither. Schaubek
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. But why? And can you provide a link where to buy Schaubek?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently bought a used Davo hingeless album just to see what it looked like. Despite the high price of their new albums it had a cheap feel to me like the materials weren't the best.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4970 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Davo's cloth-backed albums look good, but the pegs through the cover make them awkward to use. The "luxury" binders address that problem, but look rather tacky (as do most non-cloth binders). And the leaves have a harsh whiteness and dull typeface.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1925 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For US, I strongly prefer the Mystic Heirloom albums. Easy to handle and work with, pages lie flat, Scott #s on spaces.They offer a hingeless option.
Valued Member
Learn More...
472 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My two cents, which I've stated in other posts -

I've chosen the Palo hingeless because I look their look, their quality, the fact that the large pages lie nice and flat when open, and the type of mount they use. Drawbacks are (1) with 5 posts, is sometimes difficult to flip pages, (2) no Scott numbers - but presents opportunity for education, and (3) difficult to quickly ascertain which spaces are filled if you choose color images.

I've had problems with Mystic hingeless in terms of the pages curling, particularly when they get filled with stamps, and Schaubek hingeless in terms of their split-back mounts (if they still use them) which have sometimes left marks on the backs of my mint stamps.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 07/05/2020 11:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   12:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the decision could depend on whether you have a preference for collecting in Scott order or not. Davo likely will have stamps in chronological order (not sure as I have not seen a Davo U.S. album in person), i.e., airmail and other back of book mixed in with regular postage issues, as opposed to discrete sections in the way the Scott Catalogue is ordered.

Palo presents everything (for all countries except their Stanley Gibbons series pages) in Scott order, which can be very convenient if Scott is your catalogue of choice.
Edited by revenuecollector - 07/05/2020 12:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You didn't mention Lighthouse hingeless albums so I don't know if you have considered them but they would be my choice for a hingeless album. I have several and they are quality albums.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4851 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never liked the ordering of Lighthouse for U.S. stamps, as they separate commemorative stamps from definitive stamps into separate sections (or at least they used to; they may have changed that in recent years).
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
16 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer SAFE Dual albums. They're the easiest and safest for handling your stamps because they do not use individual mounts and the stamps don't slide around. Simple but elegant.
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how to quote a previous reply but as far as Lighthouse separating commemorative stamps from definitives they put them on separate pages, just like Scott National does. I don't consider that "special sections". I haven't seen every available album on the market but I'm not aware of any printed album that puts commemoratives and definitives on the same page.

Some albums like Minkus and White Ace do have separate sections for commemoratives and definitives and they issue pages and supplements based on that distinction. That is not how Lighthouse does it. I have some Lighthouse pages for the U.S. that were printed in the 1990s and they have commemoratives on a page followed by a sequentially numbered page for definitives.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05