Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Identifying Hinge Manufacturer

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 683Next Topic  
Learn More...
8267 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   08:11 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been breaking down a large collection and am running across the blue-green hinges shown below. I have seen these a few times in the past but am not sure of who made them.

Does anyone know who made these hinges? Are they a modern hinge or are they no longer available?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Don

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
7122 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
8267 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   10:01 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I saw that old thread. These are definitely NOT Dennison, the paper is thicker and opaque. The adhesive is very soft, almost a 3M Sticky Notes kind of adhesive. This attribute makes me think they are more modern.
Don
Valued Member
United States
471 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

You did it.
You posted a photo of one type of thing and did not post comparison items. You know that is not the best way to do that. Throw a few other known hinges in there so that we have something to compare to.

Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't find anything with a blue hue to it yet but I'm not sure that weak gum means it's recent.

United Stamp Company Herald Feb 1915:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
646 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the hinges are from Western Stamp and Coin Supply. I think WSCS is or was affiliated with Littleton Stamp Company, Bolder Colorado.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
646 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Strangely, these 1250 pre-folded stamp HINGES are the same and use the same package image as the Western Coin & Stamp, but claim they area a product of Don Hirshhorn Incorporated, Old Bethpage, NY. The back side of the package is blank.

Edited by oldguy - 07/06/2020 5:13 pm
Learn More...
8267 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   06:55 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These hinges are blue, not the typical 'Dennison Green', see image below. A Dennison hinge and a Prinz hinge shown as comparison.

The paper is also opaque, softer, and thicker; it is not the typical thin and transparent hinge paper.

Whomever made them, they are the first hinge that I have seen that compares well to the vintage Dennison hinges as far as peal-ability.

Don

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29761 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
compares well to the vintage Dennison hinges as far as peal-ability.

That should ring well, within the stamp collecting community.

I found them very peelable, in 2017

Edited by rod222 - 07/07/2020 07:15 am
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a consensus as to who manufactured these blue hinges and are they still available somewhere?
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it very interesting that in 2020 with today's analysis equipment, no one has been able to reverse engineer the vintage Dennison hinge. Is it that there is not enough demand for hinges in today's environment of emphasis on MNH stamps or just too expensive for someone to research?
Learn More...
8267 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   11:14 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is more info here
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Gen_Dennison.html

Basically a number of attempts have been made but were not successful; I concur that a good modern hinge is technically possible but I doubt it is feasible. The business plan would be, 'we want to invest in development and manufacturing a low cost product with a very small market that has several existing competitors'.
Don
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DV75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember that story when Subway Stamp announced they bought Dennison equipment to make hinges and I think they were going to call them Dennis's Hinges after one of their grandkids. They acknowledged the need for better hinges and while I never bought the ones they produced I give them credit for trying. Mel Goldberg died a few years later in 2003 and perhaps that is why they stopped making them. The passing of Mel Goldberg was a huge loss for the hobby. I got to know him a bit at his store on Nassau Street before he moved in 1994 and while he was a businessman, he was passionate about the hobby especially on the supplies side.
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 07/16/2020   12:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's pretty close to impossible, in my experience anyway, to identify the brand of a stamp hinge once it's out of its packaging. I mean they're small glassine pieces of paper with glue on them. So they tend to all look pretty much alike. The color might seem helpful, but even a single brand of hinges sometimes changed color over time. I have Dennison hinges that are clear pale with no real color, and I have other Dennison hinges that are light green. They bear no resemblance to each other, and yes they came out of sealed packages so there's no mix-up. I haven't seen blue hinges before, though. The other day I came across quite randomly a few absolutely clear stamp hinges that looked almost like Saran Wrap or even some kind of clear adhesive tape. They held very well, and they peeled off the album page and the stamp absolutely perfectly, leaving no adhesive behind and removing no paper at all. I was so impressed I've saved them in case there's away to identify them. But I doubt there is. Is there adhesive tape that works this way that could be used as a stamp hinge? For any Acid Freaks out there, these hinges came from an album at least 50 years old and there was no damage whatsoever to the stamp or the album page.

About the mystery of Dennison hinges, this has been posted before but the reason for their success is the secret sauce used for their adhesive. The paper is just standard glassine of the type used by all hinge makers. But the adhesive is what allowed them to hold tightly to the page and still be effortlessly removed even decades later. That adhesive is widely assumed to be some formulation of glue using rendered animal fat which is no longer allowed in glue since, coming from an animal, it could supposedly be harmful to anyone who licks a hinge. Or so I've been told more than a few times. That type of glue could not be manufactured today, as the claim suggests. I have no way to prove this, and Dennison's glue formula apparently got swallowed by the Old Glue Maker before he died or at least lost to history somehow. The company is now Avery of label fame, and they haven't the slightest interest in manufacturing stamp hinges, I'd guess. I do wonder, though, if the famous glue formula for those hinges might still reside in their archives somewhere? Come on, Avery-Dennison, cough it up!
Valued Member
9 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   01:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tadas to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I don't know who made them, even though I have two cigar boxes full of them, and have been using them pretty much exclusively for the past few years.They're as peeelable as Dennisons or Fold-O-Hinge (and may the folks who are ripping off eBay innocents with the evil "DennisEn" and "Foldo-Hinge" worthless imitations wind up in the 9th circle of hell). My only observation, after using maybe 3,000 of them, is that, in about 1 of 15 times, they don't stick. I bought a plastic bag with many thousands of the hinges about 15 years ago on eBay, and the seller didn't have any manufacturer info either. I like them a lot.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 683Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05