Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott #115 Reperfed?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 2,346Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
131 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am suspicious of this stamp I saw for sale on Hipstamp, and I'd like to hear opinions from others. It has a clean PSAG cert, but to me it appears reperfed on the bottom. I don't know how else to explain the deeper perfs on the right side of the bottom margin. I couldn't find any previous auction records, or PF or PSE certs either, and that further raises my suspicion.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
240 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you are saying. Doesn't appear parallel at all with top.

I personally avoid PSAG. I recently bought an item with a recent PSAG certificate that said OG but, when recieved, it was obviously regummed, or at the very least, significantly redistributed (gummed up perf holes and tips on all sides). Bought from a dealer that would not accept returns for anything with a cert that was less than 3 year old. Live and learn ... no more PSAG for me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that their are zero 95J in the PSE POP and only two 98J it adds to the suspicion. I avoid PSAG certs because they do not move well when trying to sell.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2998 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bought from a dealer that would not accept returns for anything with a cert that was less than 3 year old

A dealer to avoid too. Obviously one who does not care about their own business reputation or ethics. Are they a member of ASDA?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2368 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   2:11 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see a reason to condemn the stamp without close examination. However, my experience with PSAG certs has shown me to be either extra cautious or to avoid them altogether.
Valued Member
240 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, their website only says lifelong APS member. Here's what their terms of sale says about certificates:

"9. Any lot which is accompanied by an expert certificate dated within the past five years of the sale date, is sold "as is" and in accordance with the description on the certificate. Such lots may not be returned for any reason, including but not limited to a contrary certificate of opinion obtained after the sale. "
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2998 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canyoneer, Thank you. That may be their policy, but a shoddy business model. I will make a note to avoid any company/dealer who does not truly stand behind their merchandise. You got stuck and they don't care.
Edited by John Becker - 07/05/2020 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
547 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Canyoneer - did you attempt to return the stamp and the dealer refused a refund, or did you read the T&C and not try for a refund?
I ask because most dealer T&C are poorly drafted. If the dealer is who I think it is (based on googling your quoted language) the "as-is" language conflicts with ¶ 2 of the terms and conditions.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
703 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   5:41 pm  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SPQR - this stamp is still actively listed on Hipstamp, so no "damage" yet.
Valued Member
240 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't pursue a return. Probably should have but I envisioned a me vs. an "expert" opinion situation. Just put the company on my do not buy from list. It seemed rather odd ... I've done business with some great people over the years and all have had a "if you don't like it in person, send it back" way of doing things.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7014 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can always send it to the PF and see what they say.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not take a two-pronged approach. First contact the seller & explain your concerns and tell him that you plan to submit the stamp to the PF. If it comes back clean, no problem. If the seller is both honest & smart, he will realize that the good will he can earn with you by accepting a return should the PF cert indicate a problem with the stamp could well garner him future sales with you. If instead the seller refuses to accept a return, then you can remove him from future consideration ... and still submit the stamp to the PF it you so choose.
Added: Oops, didn't read the thread closely enough. Two different transactions are under discussion, one not yet done and another perhaps long done. So my suggestion likely is either too soon or too late, and hence perhaps irrelevant.
Edited by JLLebbert - 07/05/2020 7:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4926 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
712 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Top and bottom match up pretty well actually.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2402 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   10:03 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with caution on PSAG
Pillar Of The Community
United States
580 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would interested to know how other board members reconcile their acceptance of PSE certs pre Murphy and Sherman since the signer of most of the early PSE certs is the same as the referenced PSAG cert—although I note the form of the signature has changed.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 2,346Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05