Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott #115 Reperfed?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 2,115Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Randy for the reply. I'm out of town at the moment but would like to contact you when I return about the regime concern I have. Good to have you open to dialogue.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is fantastic to have Randy Shoemaker participate in this forum. Thank you! It is always refreshing and reassuring when expertizers take the time to explain their rationale for their opinions. I have an unused Scott 12 with a clean APEX cert but with part of the design cut into at top with the obvious question being how did expertizer decide that a cancel had not be trimmed away in the process? Bill Weiss kindly gave of his time to methodically explain how an expertizer deals with this situation.

Thanks again Randy.
Edited by funcitypapa - 07/09/2020 4:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much Randy for the detailed explanation of how you decide if a stamp is reperforated. It would be great if more expertizers contributed to these discussions. I'd like to hear you thoughts on grading, and what you think about certificates being more descriptive, and getting away from grading altogether. You perhaps read my suggestion for a certificate that more resembled a diamond certificate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1405 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   12:05 am  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I presented two sessions on the subject at the recently completed APS Virtual Summer Seminar. The first, "How to spot fakes and forgeries on the Internet" I have given multiple times before. The second session was focused exclusively on perforations. In addition to the size, shape and condition of the perforation holes, additional tests were described. Much of that material is scattered around this in posts or summarized in Stamp Smarter articles. Another session discussed small and large hole perforations and methods for measuring hole sizes. The other presentation discussed criteria and methods for identifying large Bank Note issue stamps. These presentations should be available later this summer from the APS at a nominal fee. Non-members may not have access to the sessions, but membership is not that expensive and well worth the price.

Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 2,115Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05