Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Smithsonian National Air And Space Museum Milestones Of Flight

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 214Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add FreedomSeat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, all

I'm trying to do research on the 100 cachets produced by the NASM during the late 1970s. (I tried to do a forum search but apparently that function is currently disabled).

Does anyone know the history of these cachets? Whose idea, within the NAISM, was it, and how did they go about finding events to commemorate?

I ask because a couple of events were commemorated twice, such as the first flight from Kitty Hawk, and I wouldn't have thought they would have done 100 different events...unless they were running out of events to do because people or organizations had to contact them to discuss doing a cachet?

Thanks for any help!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cannot say for certain however there my be a connection between the program and Michael Collins who was the Director at the NASM from 71-79. I have some of the covers from the collection maybe half a dozen. Tucked inside the cover There is a reorder form and a additional insert describing Glenns flight with this example.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redsfan11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been a space collector for forty years. I may have some but I live in a sea of boxes. I hope to get back to you. Happy searching to you.
Valued Member
United States
133 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham and Egger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cachet maker: Smithsonian - National Air & Space Museum
The Milestones of Flight First Day Cover Series consisted of a subscription system such as is used for the issue of new stamps. There were 100 covers in the series. Each issue had a printed cachet with an artists's rendition of a great moment in the history of flight, such as Lindberg's flight, the first jet flight, the first man in space, and the like. Most cachets were in black although several had colorful cachets. The special art work appearing on the envelopes, contained a history of the event, and an appropriate stamp was chosen. The covers were then cancelled at the scene of the original event and mailed to subscribers. For example, Milestone #1 honored the 25th anniversary of supersonic flight. The covers were flown at supersonic speed to Edwards Air Force Base, site of the original flight, cancelled at the base post office, and distributed. Most of the earlier covers were addressed and from about # 7 on- had a Milestones of Flight address label. Most of the covers include administrative materials related to the project, as well as some art work, occasional proofs, publicity materials, descriptive background material, and letters from the public. The series ran from 1972 to 1983. The complete series is not seen very often and the first 10 covers are rather scarce.

Sets and individual cover pricing is listed on the Space cover store site.
Pillar Of The Community
1359 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The complete series is not seen very often and the first 10 covers are rather scarce.

Several of the first 10 are available on eBay currently, including 3 listings for #1. The prices asked for #1 can be a bit excessive, as there is an offering on eBay right now for the full 100 covers for the same or less than is being asked by two of the listings for #1.

I have two complete sets, bought as such. I am working on a third, buying them individually, just for the challenge of accumulating a set that way. I probably have 90 or so, with a few of those without the inserts, so I am always keeping my eyes open for replacements with the inserts. This third set, accumulated individually, will no doubt end up costing at least 3-4 times what I paid for the complete sets.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 214Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05