Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unable To List On Ebay Unless I Sign Up For Managed Payments

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 2,381Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community

United States
559 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   3:40 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 1typesetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I just tried to list some items on eBay which I have had no problems with in the past.

Today however, eBay will not let me list anything unless I register for Managed Payments. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole, but I can't find any way around it.

Any advice?

I have a Hipstamp account. Do I just go there and sell? I'm afraid that my sales will suffer (not that they are that great on eBay as it is). What are my options?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
687 Posts
Posted 07/05/2020   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are supposed to be registered for MP and you have not done so, you will no longer be allowed to sell on eBay.

Eventually everyone will be on MP if they want to sell. If you don't want to use MP, you will have to find another site to sell on.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1924 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a casual seller; every so often I'll list a few things, so far this year I haven't. I don't feel safe venturing out to mail stuff. Once that changes am I going to be forced into this? I seem to recall reading that in the initial stage, MP would not be mandatory for folks like me, with sales below a certain volume. .
Edited by Stamps1962 - 07/06/2020 10:14 am
Forum Dad
USA
1545 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another step towards wanting to be Amazon.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
906 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   2:20 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not been mandatory since it started, but it is finally becoming mandatory. I was told that after July 15th I would no longer be able to sell unless I switched.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2268 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   5:25 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is still not going to be everyone after the 15th. I am still going to be one of the luck ones.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1924 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   8:12 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So based on the description of my selling patterns as given above, will I be required to sign up for this?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are the negatives (in easy speak) for our members selling?
https://blog.linnworks.com/ebay-managed-payments
Advantages
In fact, you'll see all your selling fees and commissions taken out on a single eBay invoice, which is much easier to keep track of and you'll get direct deposits straight into your bank account with automatic payouts. Funds can be seen quickly, even if you're accepting multiple payment options through eBay.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1401 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   11:48 pm  Show Profile Check cfrphoto's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cfrphoto to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact, you'll see all your selling fees and commissions taken out on a single eBay invoice, which is much easier to keep track of and you'll get direct deposits straight into your bank account with automatic payouts. Funds can be seen quickly, even if you're accepting multiple payment options through eBay.

Did the blogger believe eBay press releases? Since it was written, eBay has announced major changes to their fee structure in August as soon as more sellers are incarcerated in Managed Payments. They also announced that fees would be deducted from payments, potentially setting the stage for an accounting fiasco for high volume users. Where did the blogger find the term "single invoice"? Nothing has been announced. Information from the Orders report is needed to make sense of the Payouts report. Fees were removed from the report about a month ago, but still exist in downloadable invoices. Downloaded invoices are complex in structure and are more difficult to process than Orders or Payouts. Neither of those reports are easy to process. In contrast, the PayPal report of balance affecting transactions is formatted for relatively easy import into Excel.

Integers like the eBay listing ID must be formatted as integers instead of scientific notation. Dollar amounts must also be formatted. These activities take time and assume at least intermediate level skills with Excel and access to Microsoft Office.

Finally, the sales tax mess has been instructive. It was almost four months after eBay started collecting sales tax before a column for site collected sales tax was added to the Orders report. It was another year before amounts for multi-item orders started to appear. Will it take eBay another year or so to fully debug Managed Payments reporting? Time lost to accounting and paying taxes means preparing fewer stamps to sell.

The PayPal transaction report is far superior to the eBay Orders report and the Payouts reports. Sellers who fail to download the eBay Orders report within 90 days may lose data essential for completing sales or income tax forms. Does eBay plan to fix this before July 20th? Fee related columns were recently removed from the Payouts report. How will sellers reconstruct their income and expenses once eBay deducts fees from payouts? Does eBay assume that users can survive without correct accounting data for a few months or that they not miss knowing what their sales and expenses are?

As it is, completing 2019 taxes has been a major undertaking. Why is eBay unable to provide a report summarizing 2019 sales, tax collected by the seller, tax collected by eBay, shipping and other charges to the buyer and seller fees. It would also be nice to have a complete yearly report at the listing and order granularity detailing the selling price, buyer paid fees and seller paid fees. Why should sellers waste incredible amounts of time gathering and reconciling data that eBay has already collected and could easily distribute to sellers?

How many sellers have enough time and experience to develop extract, transform and load (ETL) data mining software to capture eBay accounting data? How will eBay sellers construct an accurate financial picture of their business and be able to file accurate sales and income tax returns?
Edited by cfrphoto - 07/06/2020 11:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1924 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   10:18 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hate to repeat, but.. any input from anyone with knowledge of all this as to whether I would have to enroll for this to sell a few items monthly?

I've tried on my own to research this and can't seem to find answers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
559 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps1962,

Only way I knew I had to sign up for it was when I tried posting a listing this past weekend and I couldn't because I could not get past the message that I had to enroll.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4758 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder if PAYPAL is going to take this to court with some of their bigger customers to grandfather them in . Maybe Paypal will assist to have eBay sellers in a class action lawsuit . Stockholders in Paypal would have enough to tell a Judge ,this will depress their investment . So many different options to stop it or at least delay it .
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am coming from a different POV. I am a buyer on eBay. It has probably been 20 years since I sold there. I always dreamed that I could start back up, in retirement, selling with all the spare time I expect to have. Sounds like it will be a mess.

My question: based on the last few posts, it almost sounds like Paypal on eBay is going away as a payment option. Is this true? If I have to sign up for another payment method, I guess I am out. I don't need another 'locked door' (with the knowledge that ANY lock can be picked) into my finances. I just don't need the hassle of yet another account to track.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
505 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding is that behind the scenes Ayden will be the payment processor for eBay - totally integrated into eBay, so that the buyer won't even know a third party is involved (hence the name "managed payments" as in eBay manages everything). The buyer can choose how to pay, and PayPal will remain an option for a couple years (2023 IIRC). So there's limited short-term impact on buyers, the impact is primarily on the seller side - who does have to provide ID/banking info to eBay/Ayden under these new rules.

All of this has reaffirmed my decision to move all my selling to Hipstamp and Delcampe, where the selling experience is no fuss, you don't need to provide personal info to the same extent and is Paypal supported.

Of interest, I was talking to a Hip representative yesterday, and he mentioned activity was up significantly on the site - which he attributed both to Covid19 & managed payments looming, He expects a further bump once it's fully in play. Will be interesting to watch certainly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4758 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GMOT says "Paypal will remain an option for a couple of years " that's all most of us need .
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
505 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To clarify that point, the date is July 2023 - from an eBay press release some time ago. I would not be surprised however, if eBay makes it more difficult for the buyer to use PayPal under their managed payments system in the interim, in order to drive folks away from using it.

"Additionally, eBay and PayPal have aligned on terms to offer PayPal as a way to pay at checkout on the eBay intermediated model until July 2023. PayPal will remain an important partner to eBay. "

Full press release at https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/new...ce-platform/ - if you want to read lots of corporate puffery...

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 2,381Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05